Thursday, April 23, 2020

Long Overdue

I’ve been meaning to share some photographs for a while now. Last Sunday I decided to take a walk. But every place I contemplated looked full of people. Driving on instinct, I found myself in a suburb just north of my hometown. This deserted lot centered in a tech industry district caught my attention.

Define Isolation
I recognized the plot as serving employees of a cold war era nuclear research center. The Miamisburg Mound history is amazing, if you’re interested, with over fifty years of dedicated scientists contributing toward many areas of manufacture and testing including space exploration.

The facilities namesake, a burial mound
built by the Adena tribe, predating
arrival of the Miami peoples.
Again, if you’re interested, there are a slew of pictures better than mine. I like how I stood at the same level after an easier climb from the elevated lot.

My lone little vehicle parked below my
vantage from the previous picture...

Looking down the stairs pictured above.
And no, I didn't use this rickety flight.
Another several yards to the south
are in much better repair.
I hoped for a better picture from up there, but difficulty seeing the iPod screen and mild vertigo ruined it. ~grin~ But you get the idea. Anyway, there were other decaying signs of past productivity.

Break glass in case of a car fire, I guess?

Imagine driving to work and then taking
a shuttle, almost like a theme park...
The Old and the New...

I like how artistic the rust looks on
this neighboring rooftop...
 
More cave trolls, as spotted by the river.
Uh, oh. I left shortly after this sighting.
(You didn't think I could avoid a
flight of fancy. Did you?)
Can you believe the facility isolated all its waste water, including from employee restrooms, to test for radioactivity? And that tomato and eggplant seeds sprouted in those particular holding tanks? (ewww…) Would you have felt comfortable working in such conditions, like the neighbor (rest his soul) who told me the above story?

-

13 comments:

  1. Never knew of this piece of The History of That Time.

    Actually, wonder if those dedicated people, really knew, how dangerous their work was, at that time? Look at the people, pictured in old photos, way too close to detonations...

    Did your neighbor live to a ripe old age, I hope...? Without visible effects of working there.

    Good you left! I'd not want to mess with Trolls who live near that old facility. Nope! Not!

    Annnnnnnd, what the *Heck* were you doing, wandering around that deserted place, all alone, anyway??????!!!!!!?????!!!!!!! I sezzzzzzz, don't do that again! -Harrumph- Youngin's these days!!!!

    Gentle hugs...
    🌱🌸🌱🌷🌱🌺🌱

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most egregious workplace safety violation in our nation's history has to have been by the United States Radium factories. In the early twentieth century these 'radium girls' were encouraged to put paint brushes in their mouths (!), by bosses who *knew* the watch dial luminescence was radioactive. Meanwhile, my neighbor lived too short a life in my opinion, passing away from a stroke in (I think) his mid seventies. 'Youngin's'. ~grin~ Hugs back, my dear.

      Delete
  2. There were many professions that were very dangerous back in the day. I think we're much smarter now. You had to work to eat back then. Many did dangerous things.

    Have a fabulous day, my friend. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true and sad. I'm not sure all of today's people in the industrialized world are that much smarter and greed still reigns. ~sigh~ But still, much has improved. :) Hope you are well, my dear.

      Delete
  3. This sounds a bit like how those who work at Area 51 do it (at least from what I've seen on TV). They were dedicated, for sure.

    I asked what song you were listening to as I was a huge Duran fan back in the day (age 13). Whichever songs they were, I probably know them (and can sing them).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a place I would want to live near or work at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You be careful out on those mean streets on your own! Great pictures and I hope the troll didn't hitch a lift home!
    Not So Sweet Toffee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything to do with nuclear facilities, be it for peaceful or military purposes, poses very high levels of risk. There are always questions asked as to whether it's all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not agree more, though new technology could provide clean nuclear energy. But what do I know? Heh... Be well!

      Delete
  7. Oh yikes no I would not have felt safe working there. But there are still people trying to clean up Hanford nuclear site, just north of Oregon in WA and its still a mess of radioactivity. They did nuclear research at the site of an old Indian burial ground? Talk about dececration.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!