Friday, April 24, 2020

Capitulating, Cracked, & Curious

My husband finally convinced me that wearing some kind of face covering isn’t silly or self centered and fosters community wellness. Of course, conceding to this new reality didn’t stop me putting a personal spin on it. I still felt a bit weird, of course, but with a somewhat bohemian style hiding shaggy hair and graying roots. ~grin~ My mother gave me this quality felt hat with attached scarf decades ago. When I have worn it, the scarf was usually not needed and tucked up into the crown.

I knotted the two ends behind my head
over the wider fabric attachment.

The next little tidbit brought me down a peg, thwarting my aim to be active and upbeat. While loading the dishwasher I cooked a strip of bacon in the microwave. This brand is super thick, so I set the timer for longer than usual. A crackling sound brought me over in a hurry. I turned off the microwave and proceeded to toast a bit of bread. When attempting to retrieve my plate, however, it came out in two pieces. It’s a blessing the remains didn’t fall and shatter, at least, but my mother-in-law helped me pick out this China set for my wedding gift registry about a year before her death.


I debated hiding the pieces, not out of embarrassment or anything but because this seemed another little jab from the universe that might sadden my husband. Fortunately he took the mishap well, stating we could always order more plates and mostly curious as to the cause. Don’t tell him I cried a little afterward. ~sigh~ I am trying (in fact, rather successful to the point these tears surprised me).

My aquarium remains a comforting distraction. Admiring minutia led to a little mystery. I have yet to find any aquarium images with this particular growth pattern. I’ll try another search and reduce the amount of time lighting the tank.

See the fine line of white horizontal
threads at center? They're growing
on a decoration (right) in a line
while bubbles flow behind...
This little development almost makes me think of fairies. ~wink~ That whimsical admiration won’t hold if it grows out of control, though, yet the arched shapes (at back) in this video are particularly interesting.


Can you imagine how a microwave safe plate managed to crack? What do you think about the growth in my aquarium?



-

24 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! A mighty touch of intrigue, to this MESS We Are In!!!! Love it!!! Remember the tv series "Remington Steele"? "Laura" always wore a Fedora!!!!!

    As to the broken plate, me'thinks after years of dishwasher washing, lots of plates become rather fragile. I cracked a long time used plate recently, by hitting a spoon on it, to get some food off the spoon. And I am not a Weight Lifter!

    .......

    Well, ok, maybe I hit it a bit too hard but....

    I still stick to my.... years-of-dishwashing did it. >,-)))))

    Mmmm, as to what-is-growing-in-fish-tank????? There are fish in there, aren't there???? I'd be worried about the fish, with *something* growing... Yes, I would.

    We have to open soon!
    πŸŒ±πŸ’›πŸŒ±πŸ’›πŸŒ±πŸ’›πŸŒ±πŸ’›πŸŒ±

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I loved "Remington Steele"! Thanks for the comparison. And I appreciate all the kind comments. ~grin~ Take care!

      Delete
  2. We're wearing our masks, but we're old and we're doing it to be kind to others and to protect ourselves as best we can. We don't go out very much though. I'll be glad when this is over. I miss our boat.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broken things make me sad, too. And I have been known to cry over them.

    You could turn that first pic into your profile pic :) I mean, I'd rather see your face, but as you tend to hide it online...

    And wearing a mask is not silly or self-centered. We're actually required to here, now. That last week of school, there was a kiddo wearing a mask to school. Another kiddo: "You're really wearing a mask? You're worried?" 1st kiddo: "You're not?"

    Besides: https://images.app.goo.gl/QqZj32beJXR5A7457

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the kind words! I'll reconsider my avatar. :) And I hope you stay well, my dear.

      Delete
  4. https://www.replacements.com/ will have a plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking like a star not wanting to be seen out and about!! Here, I would be burning up in the scarf and hat, been warm here. As for the plate, have you been reading my mishaps in the kitchen to much,and its rubbed off on you? Reminded me of a story I might need to blog about later. Making a note now. But....I don't know if they weaken over time or what but I had a casserole dish that had been used many times in the micro that broke like that when I was cooking taters. Really strange....stranger yet was my daughter removing a skillet from the oven where she was making corn bread and the cast iron skillet broke in to. It happens. You keep it up with the aquarium and I might have to break down and get one.....never mind, I can see Lily Bit going fishing now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the giggles and grins. Cast iron? Wow. Lucky for us, the cats never bothered any of my tanks, but Lily is way too curious. Be well!

      Delete
  6. Reply from my blog~ Although I am more a hermit brought on by the Fibro then I have ever been. Will I become a full blown hermit...thinking NOT. But I could get close I think. I do know one thing though, I think the babes are tired of me talking to them. I think they wished there was yet another human in the house! Course, I have always talked to myself, best conversations ever, but I am really doing it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't really tell what you're seeing in the aquarium. Maybe calcification lines from a bit of hard water bubbling? I don't know because I can't tell what you are seeing. I've broken a lot of things and lots of plates, that go slipping from my hands. Fortunately they're mostly from the dollar store anyhow. I LOVE THE HAT and scarf look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The images I took are terrible. ~shakes head~ But thanks for the suggestion. Let's hope we don't cut ourselves, eh? And thank you for the delightful compliment. It made me smile.

      Delete
  8. Plates and cups get broken; it's the way of things, even if we mourn losing them. I have a bowl that as a child, we used it for ice cream. There were two; now only one, and it's The PO'M's water bowl outside. Do you know that in the olden days, broken crockery and stuff was put down the outhouse hole? Archeologists find out all kinds of information about our forebears this way; luckily, it's now just dirt...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... He's a lucky kitty. Thanks for the interesting fact!

      Delete
  9. Lots of things get broken daily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was microwave safe for microwaves built in the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the hat! That and the scarf make you look like a femme fatale! If your plate is in two halves, can you mend it? I've had things crack in the microwave before. I think if you put it in when there's an invisible hairline crack, it will break.
    Take care and stay safe.
    Not So Sweet Toffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words! As for mending, I decided not to take the chance.

      Delete
  12. Was getting used to you blogging everyday....where are you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been busy with mundane stuff. Thanks for checking in, my dear.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!