Friday, April 3, 2020

Bewildering

The other day I saw my neighbor’s garage door up again and sent him a text message as nobody appeared to be home. I asked if he wanted me to do anything. J called with profuse thanks and asked if I would please close it even though he and his daughter were soon returning. As requested, by the way, I’ve saved their keypad code in case of future incidents.

In the meantime we talked as I crossed the street. Out of the blue he asked if I was still taking walks. I admitted to not going every day but planned to do so soon. He suggested I invite his wife along for conversation and companionship. Ummm… She is a wonderful person, and also a nurse at a local hospital.

Don’t get me wrong, she and I were rather close friends before she became a busy wife and mother. I even drove the two of us on a trip during a rough time. She’d been widowed young and started dating an a-hole swearing his marriage was one of convenience. Right… Eventually she wised up before meeting her future husband and father of their child.

Managing not to bark a bemused laugh, I said nothing to J about my concerns. But I dont know who his wife has been around and sure won’t be calling anytime soon. I will refrain from neighborhood walks for now to avoid any awkwardness.

Should I have told J my honest opinion? Shouldn
t he likewise be wary of me instead of trusting I am virus free just because we are introverts? And on that note, isnt it amusing that hes lived here fifteen years and believes I crave company?

-

16 comments:

  1. Definitely not a good idea to go for walks together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that walks are not a good thing. I don't want any visitors either. At all. I'm not going to answer the door.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend, Darla. Stay well. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We feel the same. Deliveries are left at the door and overall people seem to be acting smart and sensible. Blessings, my dear.

      Delete
  3. I'd say that silence is the best policy; you walk when you want, and he or she ever ask why you haven't reached out, you'll just say that your walks are spur of the moment and it's impossible to ask anyone else to go by your timeline. I met a neighbor on the sidewalk (I was across the street), when she told me that she is now in the Covid-19 unit! Yeah, well...I kept plenty of distance, and also thanked her for being on the front line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support. And what a commendable neighbor. Stay safe!

      Delete
  4. She's probably busy, so do your walks when she's at work. I've been doing a lot of walking lately, and during this time it's been very helpful. If you both wear masks and stay 6 ft apart... Nah, too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He certainly is a wee bit "brain dead," as I call all those, who are not very, very aware, of present Logical Rules. So you certainly could have told him.

    Seems his wife would *bite his head off*, if she knew he said that. But then, why hasn't she impressed him, with the present Facts of Life??? But maybe she did and............

    {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}
    💧🌷🌱 💦🌱🌷💧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to say what's going on in their heads. Today she took their daughter somewhere while we are staying in most all the time. It must be difficult raising a pre-teen during this time. Stay well!

      Delete
  6. I would definitely avoid wwalking with anyone especially someone who is likely to be exposed to the virus. Keep healthy. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, things are strange here too. A Portland friend called me, busy making cloth masks for people, going on about distancing and all that, then mentions her boyfriend is coming over and her kids are going to spend a few days with various friends. Uh, I say, so you're not social distancing. She finally admitted she couldn't do it anymore, she'd had it with it, confined with two teens, who fight, and gave it up. Ok then. So I guess it doesn't surprise me that much the husband of a NURSE would want you to go for walks with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I wish you and this family all the best. Take care, my dear.

      Delete
  8. Assuming you kept your distance, it would probably be fine, though I can definitely understand your reluctance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It just seems pointless since we're both quiet speakers. Heh... What would be the point?

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!