Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Birds Nesting, Earthworms, & Moles - Sorry, No Pictures...

I have been spending a fair amount of time gardening since the YMCA closed. And as the title suggests, there have been some interesting sightings.

What I first thought to be an American robins nest turned out to be that of house sparrows. Sad to say, they are an invasive species, often overtaking endangered Eastern bluebird nest boxes. I don’t have the heart to destroy the eggs, though, as a dear friend and bluebird enthusiast would recommend. So we’ll see this through and wish them the best.

On another note, earthworms are prolific in our yard. That’s a good thing, a major sign of healthy soil, but as my husband pointed out is also a lure for moles. They have seriously torn up our yard over the last two years. His prophetic statement led to a more startling discovery.


Wheeling our lawn mower onto the driveway yesterday, I saw a dozen or so earthworms writhing on the dry sun-washed concrete. The sight blew my mind. Then I spotted a mole scuttling through its fresh tunnel adjoining our driveway. The worms, apparently, fled (?!) the danger. Flipping them onto a spade using a plant tag, I dropped them onto a raised plot free of mammalian activity. Within a few minutes the creatures had burrowed to (I hope) safety.

Should I destroy those birds’ eggs, despite the fact our area isn’t suitable Eastern bluebird terrain? Is it so different from me sticking poison mole bait into the fresh tunnels? Some moral ethics are a real modern quandary, aren’t they?

-

15 comments:

  1. I wouldn't destroy the eggs. My hubby has tossed the sparrow's nest twice from our bluebird box no eggs though. I told him they did all that work, he should leave them alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't fault him when they nest in a designated bluebird box. ~hugs~ Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  2. Ants are the only things hubby hates around here and we leave everything else alone. I hate it when they tear up the yard though. Hubby goes after the moles too.

    Have a fabulous day, my friend. Stay well and a big virtual hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could give advice on this quandary, but I'm all for live and let live. And I too move stranded worms from the pavement to the garden; something that The Hubby finds amusing. But then again, he says that he was the first stray that I took in, so there's that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moles will also eat the grubs trying to destroy your lawn. Cowbirds will usurp the nest of ANY bird, knocking out the eggs or even the hatchlings to take over for their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gardening is a very good hobby. We aren't into it too much, but we have a few plants on our balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Space limitations are a big issue. I never succeeded in container gardening, so good on you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have scrub jays here that eat other birds eggs or young and English Sparrows, the invasive sparrow that kills bluebirds. Some bluebird fanatic, when she discovered I was a good shot, wanted to hire me to guard her bluebird boxes. I declined because she was kind of totally nuts and I didn't think that would end well. Starlings used to be seen in flocks everywhere, the most intrusive invasive bird but I don't see many of them now. Then there's the Cooper's Hawk that used to come now and then, to perch in the Cherry tree and wait for any unsuspecting little bird to fly beneath. And then the male birds attacking male birds in bloody sometimes fatal bouts. It's downright barbarianism, in the bird world, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should say, no bluebirds in this area, where I live, so live and let live, is my philosophy with the birds. However, they often do not abide by that themselves, with fellow birds.

      Delete
    2. They can get nasty, for sure. Thanks for sharing word on your local bird population and take care, my dear.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!