Monday, February 10, 2020

What if?


Sorry for ripping off your idea, Liz A. ~grin~ Alongside her inspiring Tuesday blog installments, such as this, my speculation is based on a real event as well as a movie.

To start, the quirky film “11:14” features a stellar cast whose stories revolve around a terrible incident occurring one night at, you guessed it, 11:14. I enjoyed this DVD again last week, going so far as to re-watch the included ‘making of’ documentary.

To avoid spoilers, let me say the plot follows various characters whose viewpoints converge with tragic intricacy. Its creators distort the timeline enough that, while I have no trouble following, still found myself surprised by the final reveal linking two duplicitous human beings.

The film’s portrayal of instances, momentary decisions shaping our existence, is what brought “11:14” to mind.

As usual, yesterday afternoon I drove my husband around on our few various errands. Snowfall grew denser as we neared home, decreased visibility causing me to bypass my usual left turn.

Today I can’t help wondering what different outcome might have resulted if not for incliment weather.

You see, following a curve mere yards from our street, we found a distracted driver headed right toward us. As happened just over a year ago, I concentrated on minimizing the impact and didn’t tense up, let alone have time to honk my horn.

I’m happy to report this ended better than that January 2019 occurrence and we escaped this collision. It’s a wonder, as my best option was to pull onto the curb, stop, and hope for the best. Otherwise our Blue Meanie would have bashed into one of many nearby obstacles and no doubt been totaled by the insurance company.

The Blue Meanie named and personalized last spring...
One can only hope our red 2013 Volt lives on providing parts for others. ~sigh~ What can I say? I grew up in a family of automobile fanatics including a few amateur racecar drivers. And we intended to drive that machine until our last days.

Anyway, thank heaven this gal noticed in time to swerve. We concluded our journey with twin headaches, fortunately allayed with a guilty barbecue take-out meal.

So, what if I had not detoured? Do you think that split second decision prevented another, perhaps fatal accident? How likely is it she would later have blown through a traffic stop or some such and plowed into us, or some other hapless commuter?

-

14 comments:

  1. I didn't have a clue about this movie. Not a clue. We don't do movies anymore. I had to look it up.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for looking it up. ~grin~ Hugs to you, my dear.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps your detour was specifically meant for you? I ponder stuff like this, after taking the road less traveled, and finding a stray kitten, a perfectly good pet carrier (on the side of the road), and a few $20 bills...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that no accident occurred, however!

      Delete
    2. Bless you on your rescue endeavors! And thanks for the warm thoughts.

      Delete
  3. I Believe everything happens for a reason so you probably did prevent a fatality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could be. What makes us change direction at the wrong (or right) time? It's a bit like Sliding Doors. Have you seen the movie Sliding Doors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do recall that film. Thanks for the reminder. :)

      Delete
  5. Yep...I have wondered about those sort of things also...like if I had taken a different route into Hobby Lobby last April would I still be driving my Prius. Used to not question things but this past yr really did open my eyes to a lot of diff ways of looking at things. So glad that you did not have to go through all that again. Once is bad enough esp when it entails having to get another car.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you while typing this. ~hugs~ Thanks for the warm thoughts.

      Delete
  6. I love that movie. Makes you think about the what ifs of life and the multiple decisions we make daily and what if we made a slightly different one, what would have happened to us or someone else, and their someone else's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Darla - I haven't heard of this movie. I shall check it out. Sounds interesting.

    Glad that nothing untoward happened. Luck. Providence. Whatever one might call that. What if ... One can always endlessly ponder over the infinite hypothetical possibilities.

    Your anecdote reminded me of a similar incident here with me. Since there was a traffic congestion on my usual route, I took a detour. About a mile ahead, I noticed a car coming towards me at a more-than-normal speed and straying into my lane.

    On seeing that car suddenly approaching me, I froze for a second, instinctively stamped on my brakes to slow down. But as luck would have it, the driver of that oncoming car swerved just in time and got back on his lane, and avoided hitting me. It took some time for the whole thing to sink in ... And I just thanked God.

    What if he hadn't acted in time? I would have taken a direct hit ...

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!