Thursday, February 27, 2020

Knee of Fury

On Tuesday Pam Jackson’s post reminded me how, a long time ago in this very house, I shattered a Corningware plate across my knee. And I mean it shattered, it didn’t just break into pieces as did her artful mishap.

That afternoon, innocently loading the dishwasher, I heard the phone ring and walked toward a familiar voice on the answering machine. This incident, mind you, occurred way back in the era of telephone landlines (!) long before cell phones turned into smart A$$ snoops. At any rate, I stalked toward my husband to tell him not to answer the call.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Phoenix (our photo together is at bottom of the post). However, that particular weekend he kept calling and calling, pestering my husband for computer advice on a rare day off work. I raised both plate and knee in frustration, just wanting to smack that leg for emphasis. The results emphasized my point, for sure.

My husband, in awe, asked me to bow before the mess. As you can see below I acted an absolute fool posing for the camera. He fondly calls my feat the ‘Knee of Fury’ like some martial arts maneuver. Heh... I sure miss being that thin. ~sigh~ Ah, youth.



Hands up! Naw… we stayed calm and peaceful.
(I didn’t want my dirty hands soiling the couch)
Can you believe we still find the occasional shard along the baseboard? And that I didn't get so much as a scratch? How lucky is that?


Update:
This morning I learned that same said friend is coming over this afternoon with a computer issue. Define irony, right? Anyway, I'm tempted to confess what triggered my plate shattering mishap. After all, he intentionally startled my father on my wedding day (?!) in June of 1997, resulting in the cake Dad carried getting smashed into a wall. I learned the truth behind that little incident just a few years ago.


So, should I tell Phoenix the truth of why I smashed the plate? And can you guess why my father could possibly have been carrying said cake in the first place?


P.S. After reading Sandee's kind comment, I should add that Phoenix also returns favors when possible and even rescued someone from a burning car that wrecked outside his home. :)

-

11 comments:

  1. It's kind of sad the folks that want free help with stuff and not pay. I'm just saying. It's not fair even if you love then.

    I've broken corning-ware before. A cup and it just hit the floor and broke apart. It didn't shatter though.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. ~grin~ And for prompting me to muse over all the good our friend does.

      Delete
  2. That was quite the shatter. I don't have any shattering of my own to relate. Not that I've never broken anything, just that I can't recall a good incident to relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure were lucky not to get cut. I thought those plates were mostly unbreakable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a corningware baking dish shatter in the oven. It was scary! That was a classic plate shatter though. When corningware goes, it goes in style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that had to be a mess, too. Ugh... But you made me laugh with the 'goes in style'. ~grin~ Be well!

      Delete
  5. Love the pic and boy, when you do it, you do it up right. I actually found a piece of glass from mine the other day, in my foot. OUCH. As for the friend :) smile, pull out that friendly person within you and let it go. Now...with that said, if said issue is not fixed and he comes back and back, then aat that point it is worth pulling out a friendly, funny comment that gets to the point. Then if after that, you just gotta lay it out on the table, but not using plates. Yes, with you government offices, State and Metro that department will have the commissioners will be listed. Also, jump past the little people and go up the ladder!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the giggle. I'm sorry about your foot. I don't walk around often without slippers or even hard soled sandals. ~grin~ Thanks again for sharing this tip on government agencies.

      Delete
  6. I have broken stuff. But not the way you did!

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!