Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Cultural Curiosities


The interesting (and appreciated) comments received on my “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles” post started me considering all sorts of regional differences. As for covered bridges, it makes sense that they only behoove societies receiving regular snow and/or freezing conditions. Of course, they don’t guarantee safety. Heh…


Classic dark comedy aside, I ponder over other territorial peculiarities, many just within United States borders. Take Sweetest Day, for example, observed on the third Saturday in October.

I believed Midwestern greeting card companies contrived this holiday. Today’s research uncovered an altruistic nature. You can the article here if interested. In a nutshell (as we say in Ohio), the holiday now synonymous with St. Valentine’s Day originally focused on community goodwill – uplifting all laudable and less fortunate neighbors.

This next practice may or may not be common, but around here our Mexican and Chinese style restaurants designate dishes with an additional number and/or lettering system. I suppose this makes ease of communication easier for nonnative speakers on either side of the menu. I’m not sure. For certain, though, I wouldn’t thrive where few spoke some form of English.

Speaking of communication, my minor relocation from northeast to southwest Ohio posed a few issues. I mean, why respond to my question or comment with “Please?” That turned out to be a plea for the original speaker to repeat his or herself. I’d heard the phrase “Excuse me?” or a succinct “What?” all my life.

And I had no idea what ‘briar’ meant. That’s the equally derogatory equivalent to ‘hillbilly’ from my youth, meaning a ‘hick’ or ‘hayseed’ or ‘rube’ or ‘redneck’. I don’t think we have half as many words for our wealthier citizenry.

Hmmm…

Have you heard of Sweetest Day before? As I learned not long ago, do you know the distinct difference between a redneck and hillbilly?

-

11 comments:

  1. No, I did not know about sweetest day. There are all sorts of these kinds of days on the calendar. There's an English teacher that always has what day it is written on her board. I have no idea where she finds the list of these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe there are websites listing this sort of thing, and know of one blogger who always posts them. :)

      Delete
  2. Yikes on that video. I knew that dog was going to jump off that board. I've got more southern than northern. I'm happy about that.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. A favorite movie, "Beetlejuice"!
    Born and raised in Michigan, and my sister married a Cincinnatan and has lived in southeast Ohio for 20 plus years. She now says certain words differently than we do here.
    I got this from Wikipedia: Retail Confectioners International describes the observance as "much more important for candymakers in some regions than in others (Detroit and Cleveland being the biggest Sweetest Day cities)".[10] The popularity in Detroit was greatly perpetuated by the Sanders Candy Company. Frederick Sanders of Detroit was a large promoter of the holiday. In 2006, Hallmark marketed 151 greeting card designs for Sweetest Day. American Greetings marketed 178.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for the information! If you ever head this way to meet your sister, let me know. Maybe we could have lunch. :)

      Delete
  4. I was not familiar with briar, sweetest day or the difference between a redneck and a hillbilly. I need to learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. ~grin~ You do a lot of good for your family, furry and otherwise, which is more valuable than trivia.

      Delete
  5. We have rednecks and hillbillies here, along with hippies and yuppies and yippies but I've not heard of a briar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweetest Day? NOPE, never heard of that. I will have to look that up.Covered bridges draw my attention, of course with camera in mind, but we don't have any around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I thought you might have both the holiday and such bridges in your area. Guess I'll just have to come see for myself. :) Be well, my dear.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!