Monday, February 3, 2020

Seal of Approval & a Photography Cheat

My husband’s cooking/baking fascination has resulted in several new kitchen gadget purchases. I won’t complain. Besides being wise with finances, he convinced me years ago that most of his picks prove very useful.

A few weeks ago he researched vacuum packing machines to make sealing food for the souse vide method easier and more efficient. Since its use goes far beyond that, this seemed a great investment, especially since he found rolls of plastic much less expensive than the bags.

The compact unit (atop our portable blue cooler) and, of course, the plastic rolls.
Our next box of frozen pierogi will receive the vacuum seal treatment after I’ve boiled and pan seared what we want for the meal. No more yucky freezer burn after we’ve forgotten an opened box.

Pot Roast Leftovers
What about that frustrating, rock hard brown sugar? I looked into options, discovered tight sealed crocks for sale, and realized we already possessed the solution. Just cut the bag open, take what the recipe needs, then use the Foodsaver to reseal it.

Doesn't the brown sugar look like a pillow?
Oh, and my easy camera trick is for dabblers like me with no professional equipment or training, nor honest desire to spend time rectifying that. I’d rather watch cat videos than tutorials.

 ~grin~

Besides, my photos aren’t for money making purposes, just fun. So, moving on, my most common photo fail is a shadow cast by the lens when using the built-in flash.

Photo Fail
The solution? Hold my Canon PowerShot SX130 upside down. Heh… And voila! That shadow you see here disappeared in the final result higher up.

Do you have a collection of kitchen gadgets? Is there one you find most indispensible?

-

12 comments:

  1. Hubby is the cook here and he gets what he wants. We have a kitchen full of gadgets and he uses them. I do think we need this seal machine though. I hate freezer burn.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hubby is the food shopper and preparer, but he'd rather have a really good knife than too many gadgets. I swear, the man would cook using sticks and an old hubcap if he had to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long at the gadgets aren't unitaskers. Alton Brown frowns upon those. I don't have much in the way of kitchen stuff. But I do love frozen rice that can be heated in the microwave. That's not a gadget, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to adore Alton Brown's show. His one recommendation of a single use tool has always been the fire extinguisher. And that's a good choice.

      Delete
  4. Good idea for the pierogi, they do get freezer burn easily. I have seen little discs made of pottery to put in brown sugar to prevent it from sticking together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The old old recipe for keeping brown sugar soft is to put a slice of bread in the container with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah! And my mother put rice into salt shakers for the same reason before we had humidity controlled environments. Heh...

      Delete
  6. Both my wife and I are not foodies. There aren't any major gadgets in the kitchen, but for a microwave and a refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you are blogging more!! Kitchen gadget...Not really, since I don't cook that much I would think of a great kitchen gadget would be a knife, or a spoon. I really don't have any cool gadgets. I however do have an egg cooker that I love. It cooks six eggs with about a teaspoon of water. Six eggs in six minutes. Its neat. Then my instant pot!! Loving that pot, cooks 5 lbs of chicken for the dogs in no time at all...

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!