Saturday, February 8, 2020

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles


Not to cheapen that great John Candy and Steve Martin movie mentioned in my title, this fit better than others I concocted. For starters, you could not pay me to take a commercial flight with the coronavirus such an open threat. Forgive me if you think this is alarmist, the precaution just makes sense. The same pass goes for cruise ships, by the way.

Nope. Not gonna happen.

As for rail, long established lines traverse our entire region. Along my route to the YMCA crossing gates lowered, giving a train right-of-way. Considering how seldom it (surprisingly) happens and the extreme brevity, I won’t complain.

I like the horse profile worked into the Norfolk Southern logo.
As you can see, the thing consisted of an engine and a single attached car. I imagine the engineer pulled its cash load toward a rendezvous with another train.

The Halfway Mark
Anyone who noticed me taking photos must have been baffled. I hope my actions left those fellow commuters wondering.

Hauling Grain, I presume
On a final poignant note, while covered bridges are for civilian transport such as automobiles (see what I did there?), did you know Ohio has 125 of these historic structures? Have you ever seen a covered bridge? And what would you think if someone in a neighboring car photographed a mundane nuisance?

-

12 comments:

  1. Ha! If I saw a train that was only and engine and one car, I'd be flabbergasted! The ones that I get stuck at can last for 15 minutes, and contain over 100 cars. The Coronavirus is having a big impact at my office: auto plants are shut down, parts are not being made, and folks don't want to open shipments that originated in Japan, China, or any country nearby. It's pretty severe. And I take photos of mundane stuff all of the time; a cookie dropped in the middle of the sidewalk, a weird piece of ice in the driveway, strange bumper stickers. it's fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks for sharing. I'll have to tell my husband about your virus related trials. Stay safe and enjoy those quirky photo sessions. :)

      Delete
  2. I live in the town where trains are built in the middle of intersections and we can sit there for 20 or 40 minutes as they go back and forth, hooking on more cars from some other piece of track. We have lots of covered bridges in Oregon. I drove across one to go to that homeless camp in Cascadia last week in fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow. That's got to be frustrating having to suffer such long waits. And I'll have to check out images of covered bridges in Oregon now. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I have seen covered bridges in Vermont and the next town has one that I remember going over as a child, but now it is closed and there is a detour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of ours are closed, as well, and preserved as historic sites. Thanks for sharing! I'd like to visit Vermont.

      Delete
  4. The covered bridge in Everett was restored by the Cuyahoga Valley National Park but it is now only for foot traffic. We drove across it many times when I was a kid, as that was my Dad's old stomping grounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I never heard of Everett and now would like to visit. My father owned a business in Streetsboro years ago. :)

      Delete
    2. Streetsboro has grown quite a bit. Shalersville seems about the same - and the"dip" between Hudson and Streetsboro on 303 still floods periodically.

      Delete
  5. People photograph stuff all the time. And if it was on your phone, everyone would have just thought you were texting.

    I don't know if I've ever seen a covered bridge in person. Not to my recollection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true about photos nowadays. It's interesting to me how regional these types of bridges are. Be well!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!