Thursday, February 13, 2020

Little Things – & – a Big Thing Rescued

Decades of ups and downs have taught me that the littlest things can have a great impact. Small courtesies and kind words, a smile from a stranger, these moments add up and improve day-to-day life. Without them, letdowns both large and small are harder to bear.

Yesterday I noticed that a neighbor’s hatchback stood open, its interior exposed to heavy sleet. Having no contact information for them, I debated walking over. But knowing my luck of late I’d end up slipping and injuring myself.

Then it dawned on me to send a text message to J next door. He knows everyone. And sure enough, he forwarded the information. I saw the young father, still in business attire complete with tie, bustle wet packages into their garage. Soon thereafter, J relayed the couple’s thanks.

A few weeks earlier I noticed J’s own garage door up well past dark, resulting in a similar outcome. Let’s hope I don’t come across as a nosy neighbor. ~grin~ What can I say? I’m sort of like a housecat and enjoy peeking out at the world from our cozy home.

Today an older good deed panned out. My husband and I had recently visited the American Sign Museum when his brother informed him that Copley, Ohio city officials took down a landmark sign, beloved from their childhood.

One tiny portion of the amazing museum display.
They planned to auction it, so I hopped on the Internet to contact the Cincinnati based sign collector and museum curator, who turned out to be the sole bidder. News broke yesterday about the sale, though it’s not known when the move will take place. This made me, my husband, and his brother all very happy. All in all, it’s a good day.

Charlie’s Ribs & Chicken opened in 1961 and closed in 2016. Why their sign shows a vegetarian rodent eating a meaty sandwich, I have no idea. Heh… But isn’t it cute?

I hope to soon see this bunny sign cleaned and restored.
Do you find old signs nostalgic? What minor incident made you smile last?

-

13 comments:

  1. I do the same thing. If we can't be good neighbors and care for each other than shame on us. Being kind is so easy to do and we will never know what impact it has on others. Be kind.

    I love old signs. There is a 50s group on Facebook that I enjoy reading. So many things that I grew up with.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing open doors like that troubles me, so I totally would have figured out a way to inform someone. Who knows what could have been wrong? Or just forgotten?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. uhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjiu

      Ummm... That was my cat's replay. ~shakes head~ Anyway, I agree 100%.

      Delete
  3. The Hubby is home all day, most every day, and the neighbors are aware that they have a built-in watcher!
    Yesterday, I went to our accountant for our 2019 taxes, and was inundated with so much information, that I wished The Hubby was there. His brain absorbs that stuff, while it just bounces off of mine. What made me smile, was explaining to The Hubby that in 2021, he is going alone or with me to the taxes prep, to which he exclaimed that he wasn't needed...and I called him a name (with love!) and made it clear that he no longer had a choice. He smiled, and I raised my eyebrows like a schoolteacher.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for you as my mind is a steel sieve when it comes to numbers. :)

      Delete
  4. You are too funny. I wouldn't know if there was an accident outside. I never look out. I do love vintage signs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know the old "Bunny" sign went to a VERY GOOD home ! Glad your tip panned out !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fully agree with your first paragraph, Darla. It's so true!
    It often doesn't take anything for a kind word or a good deed. It might a go a long way for someone else.

    Regarding old signs ... I sometimes go to YouTube and check out old TV jingles and advertisements, and old songs. ... Going back in time, feels good. Not quite sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel better myself when spreading good cheer. :) And yes, nostalgia is powerful.

      Delete
  7. I like busy body neighbors like that! Would love to have you in the neighborhood. But actually I have some pretty good neighbors right now, who would do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old signs, esp if they have a little rust on them. You know me from blogging long enough to probably have figured out the type of person I am! I am always trying to spread smiles, a kind word, I say thank you so many times to servers when I go out to eat that I begin to sound crazy, I open doors for people and I even give homeless folks a buck or two, sometimes buying them a meal. Yep, I believe in doing a helpful kind thing here and there.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!