Friday, February 21, 2020

Rolling, Refreshed, & Run


From time to time my husband has attempted to make cabbage rolls and never found them tasty or well formed as his aunt made. But his obsession with food led to another attempt. I helped, for the most part contributing my knife skills, slicing and dicing as needed.

On the video he discovered chopped mushrooms added to the filling provide umami. And shaving the cabbage leaves’ thick central vein makes keeping them rolled easier.

I found that tedious, though, and decided to just make a narrow V slice and remove the vein entirely. Our filling sort of falls apart (I may have thrown in too much mushroom) but it tastes delicious, even better leftover. All maintain a firm shape for serving, too, whether sliced or shaved. My photo skills don’t do our results justice, I’m sure.

You can't add too much tomato topping.
Cooking aside, I have a refreshed interest in tropical fish keeping, which the deadly wipeout of January 2019 sorely dimmed. Swapped décor seeming inadequate, I took the plunge and switched out the substrate. Please cross your fingers with me that it wasn’t foolish doing this the day Aquatic Arts shipped my fish and snails via UPS overnight service.

You see, sad to say, I lost two of the five tiger barbs overnight. As these fish can be aggressive, which I witnessed yesterday, that may have caused their demise. My overall population looks and acts healthy this afternoon (following video taken last night).


By the way, I received literal snail mail. Heh… Sorry, Liz, I couldn’t resist.

Now, at my age, I don’t run anywhere. It’s the title of a movie starring Sarah Paulson. My husband and I have appreciated her acting since the series “American Gothic” back in the 1990’s. This frightful thriller is right up my alley. You'll want to skip the trailer if you don't like creepy images.



Are you familiar with Sarah Paulson’s work? Should I try finding a new use for the old gravel?
 
-

9 comments:

  1. I've never even tried to make cabbage rolls. I'm not all that talented in the kitchen.

    Love your fish. I've never been able to keep fish alive.

    I've not heard of this gal nor have I seen any of her movies.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input. :) Hugs back to you, my dear.

      Delete
  2. I hope the fish remain in good health. I remember how hard it was when you lost them last year.

    Oh, I remember American Gothic. Sigh. Too bad that show didn't last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You're very kind. And I agree about the show. :)

      Delete
  3. What else is in the cabbage rolls? I make Polish ones with hamburg, onion and rice. Sorry you lost some fish. And no, never heard of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the response. The recipe is about the same for the Hungarian recipe. :) And I appreciate the kind sentiment.

      Delete
  4. I do not know her work. I do hope you have luck with the fish. I have had fish a couple of times. I finally realized that I did not need anything else to care for...haha. Plus, I know Lily, I would have my hands full with her and fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad loves everything Sarah Paulson does. He loves the creepy shit. He also remembers growing up with his Baci's delicious homemade golumpki.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!