Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Life Lessons from a Chili Head

On one of our earliest dates, my husband introduced me to spicy food. And thus began my journey into gastronomy as a chili head.

Since I took on gardening our collection of dehydrated, frozen, and canned peppers has exploded. This year my jalapeño plants didn’t do super great. However, I’ve harvested more of the spicier habañero chilis than expected.

My favorite use is to make a hot sauce called Inner Beauty. Hubby discovered the recipe during our earliest home Internet days (!) and I still enjoy it.

On Tuesday I harvested almost forty more. I cut off stems, removed any darkened seeds, and prepared to vacuum seal them for the freezer. Trust me when I tell you I wore plastic gloves.

First lesson: My cheap gloves don’t suffice and a facial tissue didn’t protect my dripping nose.

Second lesson: If you want the nasal clearing and/or body cooling benefits of capsaicin but fear gastrointestinal irritation, the nose is the way to go.

I should know better by now. ~rolls eyes~ And you do not want to know what other skin tissue peppers have irritated.

I haven’t yet tasted the peppers I canned. Perhaps I should and see if it’s a good longer storage option. Meanwhile, one pepper had a surprise inside.

Finding a tiny pepper inside a larger always fascinates me...

Knowing the answer from some of my kind loyal regulars I still have to ask, do you like spicy food? Are you familiar with the term chili head?

-

12 comments:

  1. I love spicy food. I eat spicy food. Sometimes it doesn't love me like I love it, but I will eat spicy food.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of chili head nor that eating chili peppers is body cooling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch. Sorry. Sometimes no matter how careful we are, we still manage to hurt ourselves. You're braver than me. I don't do the spicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you have variety in your career and they say that's the spice of life. lol And no worries, I recovered.

      Delete
  4. I like spicy food but my tolerance for very hot has dropped now. I can guess at chili head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love ultra spicy but as I have gotten older not so much. I do miss that burn though LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like a little spice, like mild salsa. We used to grow jalapenos and I made a pepper jelly with them that goes on cream cheese and crackers. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, pepper jelly is good! Thanks for mentioning it as there are lots of little jalapeno peppers on the plants.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!