Friday, September 29, 2023

Apparently Cats & Eight Legged Hunters Share a Similar Preference

Another tiny arachnid visited me. And if you don’t mind seeing them, I have evidence below.

What occurred to me this time, as my title suggests, is that housecats and little jumping spiders both appreciate taking the high ground. Of course my speculation could be wrong.

As an aside, I tend to draw all sorts of critters, including local children. Unfortunately my list includes blood thirsty mosquitoes. My husband has witnessed me being chased by a cloud while on vacation.

~sigh~

After getting bitten during a recent cloudy day I applied insect repellant before this spider dropped by. Apparently scavenging ants are among others not bothered by deet. On a positive note, our local ant species are harmless to humans so I try leaving them alone unless they infest my house.


Can you believe there are 42 species of spiders in my US state of Ohio? Do you know how many live in your area? Or would you prefer not knowing?

-

12 comments:

  1. Australia has the most scary spiders in the world and they always target American tourists. Living up rather high in the sky, we don't really see spiders but I have had to vacuum up minor webs at times. Some tiny spiders live on our balcony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aussie wildlife can be scary, for sure. ~shudder~ It makes sense that thoughtless tourists from America would suffer most.

      Delete
  2. Have plenty of spiders here. Including Brown Recluse and Black Widow. I used to have curtains made from webs seemingly over night. It was just me and my 12 hr shift rotation and OT that kept e seeing them as they were made but boy, they were immense. Had to get a pest control man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spiders don't worry me too much. I just hate walking into their webs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned from wiser folks to use a stick when hiking. lol And a neighbor used a 'spider stick' on his porch, too.

      Delete
  4. You made me curious, so I looked it up and Massachusetts has 35 kinds. You have us beat. :) XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense with your colder weather. Insects are amazingly resilient, though. Hugs, my dear.

      Delete
  5. I don't know how many spiders we have but I'm sure it's too many!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess Oregon has over 500 species of spiders, according to an article I found. I love your insect videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of species! It makes sense with the variable climes and amount of water. I'm not sure how many people know insects need H2O as much as other animals. And thank you for the kind word. I enjoy filming buts. :D

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!