Monday, September 4, 2023

A Frightful Encounter

The other evening, our newer cat Dandelion took the highest cat tree spot near the television. Much younger Terra and Polly decided they wanted to play (?) or perhaps just mess with their elder. Whatever the case, this altercation ended almost before I registered what happened.

I’ve tried to stay calm despite flying paws whenever witnessing these situations. This was different. We think maybe Dani went into a more offensive mode and the sisters reciprocated. Whoever struck the worst blow(s), Dandelion didn’t back down, continuing to strike out as her foot bled.

My husband acted all calm, just disappointed by our ruined movie plans while I assessed the damage. I tilted the cat tree and, bursting into tears, found some blood soaked into the carpet. Worse still, I needed my ladder to clean blood specks off the ceiling.

I went to bed soon after and essentially cried myself to sleep. Nightmares are a near constant these days. This one has a very obvious origin. I will warn you it’s graphic.

In the dream I stood admiring a showy black bird with an impressive crest. This creature and several colorful little songbirds perched on wooden beams, something like those supporting a barn roof. Without warning the large raptor snatched a songbird in one gnarly black claw, bit off its head, and crunched down the rest in a few vicious bites.

Needless to say, tears leaked when I woke and continued as Dandelion jumped up in bed to snuggle. She flipped on her back, soft white belly exposed, and let me examine her wounds. I am thankful she suffered nothing serious but it almost broke my heart finger combing tiny dots of blood from her fur.

Terra and Polly, still very much loved, didn’t receive my usual cheerful chatter that day. Here is a video to end on a lighter note.


Isn’t that dragon cool? And isn’t it a shame the price is $300 (US)?

-

12 comments:

  1. Yikes. What a cat fight and I would have been beside myself too.

    Love the dragon too. That's pretty pricey.

    Have a fabulous day and week, my friend. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool dragon. I wonder if the cats need to get the fight out of their system and then things will calm down. Or do they need to be completely separated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am loathe to separate them due to the nature of our home's architecture. Playtime with them seems my best option. Thanks for the comments, my dear.

      Delete
  3. That wasn't a great experience. Do you think the cat hierarchy is changing? The dragon is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be right about the hierarchy. And I so want that dragon. lol

      Delete
  4. Yep, it's scary when that happens, fortunately all has been calm here for a number of years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Dandelion. I am glad she held her ground because they will be less likely to do it again. That is scary dream. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's too much for a dragon, even if its very very cool. This post broke my heart as my heart is already near broken because Sam is about at his end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for your failing kitties. ~hugs~ And I regret giving you a sad tale but please know that was the only time we saw bloodshed.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!