Saturday, March 12, 2022

Time for Some Changes

Chief Inspector Terra on the job...

I made up my mind that the tiny new flower bed deserves some pansies. The few required didn’t cost much and their little ‘faces’ would have delighted my dear departed mother, too. I didn’t just breeze in and leave. This garden center’s annual twenty-five percent off spring sale inspired me to browse. And, well, after much consideration I bought a tree.

Deputy Inspector Polly
Lends a Hand Nose

It doesn’t look like much now but this ‘Rhode Island Red’ dwarf Japanese maple will replace a weeping crabapple that has outgrown the space and turned rather ugly. I’m somewhat sad as Luna moved in about the time I planted it. ~sigh~ At least the memories of her lounging in the shade remain vivid.

My Crabapple Tree a Decade Ago...
I must dig up an older w/ Luna...

Well aware that my selections don’t offer a lot to local wildlife, I don’t feel guilty. The main perennial bed contains all sorts of critter friendly plants. Meanwhile, temperatures have plummeted. So my tiny tree sits outside close to sun warmed brick and the pansies are huddled in the garage.

The Old Crabapple Well
Past its Prime...

Should I let my old tree stand for another season of flowers and crabapples? Do you think the shelter and shade will benefit the maple while it gets established?

-

12 comments:

  1. There are much smarter people (and actual gardeners) who can weigh in on your questions. I look forward to seeing your mailbox with pansy décor later in the spring when that gets completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yard is going to be beautiful. Love your choice of a new tree. They are most beautiful.

    Have a fabulous weekend, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to see this slow grower get big and strong.

      Delete
  3. I know nothing about anything but accidentally killing plants. I love the pansies. They're very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty pansies and I like Japanese red maples. Your crab apple is in the same condition of ours. And we hate to take it down because Angel Phoebe liked to climb it when we took her out on her harness. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let the crabapple go, is my thought. Not an asset any longer. And oh, how wonderful to have the Japanese maple. They are so totally gorgous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this slow grower makes it and I'm here long enough to witness. lol

      Delete
  6. If you bought the tree to replace the crabapple, then let it go. Pansies are pretty but I hate planting then replacing.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!