Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Eerie & Amusing

This morning I began catching up on blogs, having somehow fallen behind yet again. When I viewed Pam’s latest post here I chuckled and remarked with a simple ‘lol’. But the second image didn’t all fit on my computer screen at once. Scrolling down gave a fleeting glimpse of that bottom frame where something odd stood out. I went back to take a second look.

What first impressed me as a man peeking up from below turned out to be her socked foot (!) that then registered right away. Very cute socks, by the way. ~grin~ Anyhow, the soldier I ‘saw’ wearing a garrison cap was cartoonish, at best, and likely not evident to every viewer. Yet something still niggled at me. I got up to check a wartime portrait hanging nearby.

It is sad that this handsome, serene
visage hides WWII trauma
he never discussed.
I never had the pleasure of meeting my husband’s father. He passed away in 1981, I’m sorry to say, a full eight years before I met his son.

Can you see his wife’s high school photo reflected over his left shoulder? Isn’t it wonderful that we have these vintage portraits?

-

13 comments:

  1. I have a photo of my father's dad and mom; his dad died many years befor I was born.
    His dad had a lazy eye, which is evident in the photo, and at least three of us inherited that trait from him, but thankfully, the following generations haven't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you never got to meet your paternal grandfather. Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  2. I love older pics. I love seeing family from the past, even if I never met them. I have pics of my granddaddy and great grand from my dads side. I never met them. I also have pics of my granny and great granny, great uncles, and aunts. I knew them. I remember them and loved them. I have a pic of Amber, me, mom, and my granny. Its a special pic to me. Now moving on....I find myself a lot of times hunting other images in things. I find faces and animals a lot of times in wood, flooring and other images. They just sort of jump out at me. Hey, cool idea. A blog about that! haha.....I am so glad my socked foot, peeing man gave you a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed a treasure to have these photographs. I just found two the other day. My fathers parents and my father in uniform. He was so young.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our brains will find patterns even if there are none. Interesting what your brain constructed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those older photos are such treasured memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He was very handsome. It is nice to have photos to remember loved ones and in some cases to "meet" those we never got to meet in person. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dad started dating mom at a time in her life when her dad was suffering his final days with Lewy body dementia and has said many times that he wishes he'd been able to get to know her dad. Mom has the deepest love for her dad like dad's never seen. On the eerie photo note: one of the books dad took out from the library recently held in its pages a collection of postcard-like photos that someone had left there previously. They are old timey sepia-toned photos mostly too gross to show here including ghostly images and even a beheaded person. Mom said she didn't want them in the house, so dad promptly hid them in his closet for who knows what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a horrible disease. ~hugs~ And those photos have me curious. May I ask what book your father checked out, sweet Cleo?

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!