Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Conquering a Lifetime Fear

I know it’s spring when the first centipede appears on my shower stall ceiling. After decades of fearful disgust and countless harmless interactions, I began jokingly referring to them as my ‘power animal’. They are fierce and beneficial hunters. Plus a large jungle species provides some monkey clans a venomous insecticide with pleasant side effects.

Telling myself this was a super fast and cool caterpillar, I picked up the shy creature inching down the wall. The old saying stands true that she/he (on the small side, granted) feared me more.

But I’m proud of myself and call this a victory. I did wash my hands after releasing it, not knowing where all those feet have tread.

Have you heard of so-called power animals? What’s your choice?

-

14 comments:

  1. You are kind to a creature who might munch away on your favourite garden plant. I think I would have washed it down the drain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I couldn't do that with a spider, they creep me out too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have taken it outside too and then washed my hands. Power animal for us are ants. They invade our home in the spring, but this year we have a non-lethal surprise for them and we home they pass us by.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your plan works. ~hugs~ Most insects are actually beneficial but aren't especially welcome inside, especially ants.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on facing your fear!
    I used to be afraid of dogs, but found a way to get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. I use the cup and magazine trick when I need to get critters outside (usually saved for spiders).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, I don't know if I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been able to touch one yet, or a worm, or a detestable roach, OMCAT!!!! I did teach my kids by showing not to be afraid of touching fire flies, beetles and "dry" bugs. It's the wet ones or prickly ones that just make me go EWwwwwwwg

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was brave of you. I would be screaming for my hubby. I would consider a lion my power animal being that it is in the cat family. XO

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!