Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Disturbed

Before delving into my usual silliness, I'd like to share a link to a fundraiser. As dear Strayer warned, images are disturbing. I averted my eyes from the poor kitty's disfigurement because I'm a wimp. ~shakes head~ Please donate if you are able.

Meanwhile, back to my goofy look at life in Southwest Ohio. Oh, and only in retrospect after updating this post, did I realize this poor animal's plight fits my title. It's odd how things happen.
 

Anyway, on the bright side, our yard is bustling with springtime activity. The other morning I mowed the back lawn, then hooked up the garden hose to clean the mower’s undercarriage. Beneath the shade of my horse chestnut tree, chore complete, I studied the tidy nest above.
 
To my delight, four or five beaks rose, opening and closing in hopes of a feed. It occurred to me that my presence, not to mention the noise, must have disrupted the dedicated mother robin. And our hose no doubt looked like a snake.
 
I wasted no time storing everything away and clearing out. Inside looking out the window, I was rewarded with sight of mama bird flying up to her offspring, a fat bug in her bill. But another development disturbs my poor husband.
 
Years ago I brought home a cute, tropical looking specimen the seller called ‘snake plant’ due to its interesting stem pattern. The thing struggled until I happened to see the same fellow at that garden center and he recommended a shadier spot. From one little pot its transplanted corms have since filled the space between our front door and weeping crabapple tree. And then we started to see blossoms emerge.
 
That doesn’t sound bad, now, does it? But one common name for amorphophallus konjac is ‘corpse flower’. The bloom, meant to attract and capture insects, smells like rotting flesh. Our home improvement contractor actually posed the question one spring, asking what had died. And this May we have a record eight flowers.

Can you see all eight?

My guy now dreads some delivery person calling the authorities until they wilt back and make way for its striking foliage. While I think the average person will simply go on with his or her busy day, the thought is a bit disturbing. It’s weird how I end up growing pervasive stuff like this and the menacing prickly pear cacti while my daylilies and creeping phlox disappeared into the ground.

What are the odds I’d plant this right next to my front door? Would you find such a stench suspicious enough to call the police?
 
-

18 comments:

  1. One way to find your house, the nose will know. That made me laugh out loud.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got a chuckle. Be well and hugs to you, my dear.

      Delete
  2. This is something that I would do too!
    Fortunately, I've started my new native Michigan gardens in the back and sides of the house, thinking to slowly work my way to the front...after I've figured out what grows the best, and what I really want. I do have a master gardener helping me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, best wishes on your gardening endeavors. It's nice to have professional guidance. :)

      Delete
  3. Your post person, must "wonder what next?", when he approached your house! -giggggles-

    Yes, 8 children... this in regard to your comment, on my blog, about the link I left, to a lovely English blog/IG! And did you notice the size of her! TINY...! Guess she did maternity, the "old way" too. Only "grew" a baby, and did not get fat, all over her body. >,-)))) ~~~~~ "Way-back-when", I got a new dress, in my usual size, to come home from having my babies, in.

    Granted, we stayed in hospital, 5 or 6 days. But still..... And with my second pregnancy, when our baby died, 1 1/2 days after birth, I did not stay for the full 5-6 days. And still wore the dress, I had taken to hospital with me.

    My size increased, when I _starved_ (stupid), after keeping on 5 pounds, after last baby.

    ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you lost an infant. ~hugs~ And you weren't stupid. ~shakes finger~ Glad I could make you giggle, my dear.

      Delete
  4. Eeek. I doubt a random passerby would think much of the stench other than it stank. I'd worry more about people who frequent your place, but they would get the explanation of the plant. So, I doubt you need to worry other than having that smell about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of the corpse flower, but I didn't realize one could grow their own. I thought it was very rare.
    I am glad I didn't see Strayer's post, it would upset me too much, but I will try to donate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that should keep the burglars away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that regard, too bad they don't bloom longer. Heh...

      Delete
  7. Thanks for posting about Monica's fundraiser for that poor stray kitty, Darla and for donating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're small things I was happy to do. ~hugs~ Thanks for your tireless work rescuing needy animals.

      Delete
  8. Glad you reminded me about animals...I need to go catch a kitten and see if its male or female. Yep, I had to read up on how to tell that!!! haha.....I just noticed that seeds I planted Sunday are coming up...so excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes on helping the kitty. :) And hurray for seedlings!

      Delete
  9. Well, it'd be hard to have such a plant anywhere nearby!

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!