Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Bouncing Back (fingers crossed; not what you think)

As indicated by my caveat, this title does not pertain to our overbearing global upheaval. In the midst of all this sorrow I’m lucky to have found comfort in my revived aquarist hobby, my enlivened twenty-nine gallon aquarium providing true joy. Finding one tiny resident distressed the other evening jarred my tenuous hold on optimism. If you're interested, here is a video but be WARNED that it includes a post mortem goldfish examination.
 


I know that losing one tropical fish can’t compare to losing a longer lived mammalian companion. But after the extensive fish deaths in January of 2019, it distressed me to the point of tears. Following quick research I despaired further. The ugly, so-called ‘dropsy’ condition is no diagnosis. Rather, the distorting bloat is a symptom of many problems. Now it seems stress or injury created the issues. There’s no way to know for sure, but this poser (below) has been acting aggressive. 


Disregarding the instant euthanasia recommended by some, I took one determined hobbyist’s advice, spending four hours scrambling to set up and regulate a medicated hospital tank. To my delight, the swelling had all but disappeared as of last night. Returned to the main tank, this spotfin goby appears comfortable despite some scales remaining ruffled (known as 'pine coning), respiration seeming normal.

Still hiding, which I totally understand.
Have you ever heard of dropsy? Did you know fish can be bullies?

 
-

22 comments:

  1. I know nothing about fish. I didn't watch the video. I've seen autopsy on people. I don't have to do that anymore.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. Sounds like a career in the medical profession. You're so amazing, Sandee. Thanks for the love!

      Delete
  2. I'm not surprised at fish bullies. There are some in every species... Glad to hear your aquatic friend is doing better.

    I had hoped you'd visit my Monday blog post. There's a link on how to make a no-sew fabric mask with crochet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind word. And I'll check out that post. Thank you again. I don't know how I missed it. Although, I thought yesterday was Monday, so maybe I slept through it. :)

      Delete
  3. No...

    But of course! All species have their bullies, it would seem.

    Good luck to the survivor!

    And Re: your question. What do we do with Parsnips? We peel, cube, boil them till tender... Mash them, and add butter. Delicious with salt and pepper. A bit sweetish, for a veggies, but not reallllly sweet.

    They make great additions to stews too... Like carrots and etc.

    You have ants! We do too, but very weird big black ants. They are only showing, on one small counter, on the left of our stove. And no showing today.

    Perhaps they get "spooked" when husband got that mouse last night????????? And decided to "high tail it out of here".... >,-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and tip on parsnips. I hope those big black ants don't become an issue. :) Take care, my dear.

      Delete
  4. This is interesting. I never knew they could be bullies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad to say, I've dealt with many bullying fish over the years. ~sigh~ Thanks for stopping by, my dear.

      Delete
  5. I am glad you were able to help the fish. I would assume any species has it's share of bullies. I know cats sure do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And that's so true about cats. We were lucky none of our three girls fought, and I still miss Tilly and Luna even if Jezebel doesn't seem to care. At least she didn't pine away. :) Be well!

      Delete
  6. Never heard that term but yes, although I did not have a tank as nice as yours I had Angel fish in with others....BIG BULLIES. Anyway, I had to get tickled when the fish was dead and the fish doc was saving that it was kidney issues he said, " and this fish can't live with a kidney like that"....we NO he can't, cause he is already DEAD! As for my slip up on son in love, it was done on purpose. HAHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't actually watch the video. Heh... Thanks for the smiles, my dear.

      Delete
  7. I'm sure bullying is an all species happening. Must be really stressful when there is no escape from it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dropsy was a common term for the water-weight that new mothers would accumulate in their bodies after giving birth.
    The office where I get my mammograms done has a beautiful fish tank, but I rarely get to sit and watch 'cause they get me in and out lickety split!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that. Interesting. And it apparently covers my angio edema of the tongue! I'm glad you don't have to linger at the office. :) Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  9. I don't know much about fish (except that you never ever clean the fish tank with Dawn dishwashing detergent)but I've heard certain fish can't live together. Sorry about your fish :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... Sounds like you endured a disheartening incident. ~hugs~ Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  10. Not much knowledge of fish, but I can imagine fish bullying. I like watching fish in an aquarium and always longed to have one. Maybe some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I keep losing fish, maybe I should airmail one of my tanks to you. ~sigh~ Be well!

      Delete
  11. My mom had a big aquarium when I was a teenager and I remember some of her fish bullying others. She swiftly executed the bullies via flushing, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... I hate having to euthanize any creature, but understand her dilemma. Take care!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!