Thursday, October 12, 2023

A Wild Time with Wildlife

I know many folks do not like snakes, at all, so if you are among them, skip this post. I am serious. Be well, those about to click off, and please stop by another day.

For anyone sticking around, I learned that rattlesnakes apparently live here in Southwest Ohio. Rattlesnakes. Should there be rattlesnakes in Southwest Ohio? According to a little research, they live in the eastern part of the state.

Okay… And I thought they were only in the Southwest United States, not my home state.

Here is the story. When I saw a baby snake on my back patio earlier this week and decided to take photos and video, my ignorance could have gotten me killed. And I don’t say that lightly. Adult pit vipers know how to control their venom. Their offspring will just throw everything into a strike.

Below is my photo of what I idiotically assumed to be a harmless, literal garden variety reptile. If you want to see my idiotic video, keep scrolling. Only during a later viewing did I realize this little creature wasn’t just pretending to be tough. ~rolls eyes~ Now I ask myself, why would a non venomous snake fake a rattlle if there aren’t any living in the area to imitate?

Minding its own business...

~slaps forehead~

If the following clip isn’t proof that I have a guardian angel or several, I don’t know what would. My friend Scars suggested I not only be more careful but also check if local hospitals carry antivenin for the Eastern Timber Rattesnake. I think I’ll reach out to my doctor’s office. But honestly, I doubt we’ll cross paths again as they prefer avoiding people. It’s this dummy wanting to get closer that escalated the encounter. Furthermore, my identification could be wrong. This could, in turn, be an escaped pet. I am just so, so blessed not to have been bitten.


Do you know the Eastern Timber rattler is endangered? Would you, like Scars, have killed it regardless?

-

14 comments:

  1. The non-venomous mimic behaviors to scare off predators, I think. So, unless you know snakes, yeah, you could easily not realize if it's harmless or not. I don't think I would have gotten close as the critter would have startled me, but I don't think I've actually been close enough to a wild snake to test this theory. (I've seen pet snakes, but I haven't otherwise seen them.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of reptiles around here, like garter and rat snakes, so this was a shock.

      Delete
  2. I'm afraid I would have Not the standard ordinary snake, no. But any with the traditional head of a pit viper, yes, IF I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to live and let live but you're probably the wiser one, my dear.

      Delete
  3. Did it strike at your face or? Oh my, are you sure its gone from your area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went for my phone while filming. ~shakes head~ Again, I'm an idiot sometimes. It's probably in the woods behind our property. I think the little snake wanted warmth from our sun drenched concrete.

      Delete
  4. Yikes!!! That is scary. I am surprised they are in your area. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't stop watching your video, in slow mo. It's a GREAT video. I stopped it when the snakes tongue lashes out too. Have you sent this to your state fish and game, for conclusive ID of the snake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like my idiotic little film. I never thought about your great suggestion. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Snakes don't bother me, just spiders LOL! Thank you so much for your kind words on the passing of our dear Brian. We all sincerely appreciate your kindness.

    Dad Terry

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!