Friday, October 20, 2023

A Gardening Venture for 2024

After seeing the gorgeous dusky blue pumpkins selling for $20 each I decided to look for seed sellers. And I found some available on Etsy for far less than one fourth the price!

I so want to grow these...

One buyer said they sprouted right away in her Aerogarden. Of course I had to look that up and now hydroponic gardening seems within reach. I’ll see if my husband is interested. If he is, maybe I can start them this fall.

This heirloom pumpkin called Jarrahdale was developed in New Zealand. I tried finding one from the Midwest known as Blue Lakota but had no luck. Fingers crossed, I’ll have such success as other gardeners. And these are said to be the tastiest for pies, which surprised me.

Did you know that so-called canned pumpkin is actually squash? And squash seeds can be roasted up just as tasty a treat?

-

8 comments:

  1. I usually save the seeds when I get a pumpkin to carve for Halloween, which I haven't this year, then roast them. I just love pumpkin seeds. I want to grow some blue pumpkins too now! Which reminds me how much I used to love seeing the orange dotted fields at pumpkin harvest time, south of Corvallis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I did see something about canned pumpkin being squash. It might have been on a cooking show ages ago. (I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it.) I had no idea there actually were blue pumpkins. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is pretty. My hubby grew pink ones one year called Cinderella pumpkins. I did not know that about canned pumpkin or the squash seeds. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should get gardening tips from your husband and craft tips from you, my dear. :D

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see how it grows, they sure are pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!