Sunday, June 28, 2020

Helpful Hints – or – Peculiar Pointers (depending upon your viewpoint)

Almost every day lately I discover tiny, simple tricks to cut down the time and energy spent on mundane tasks. Or preserve items, as it were, such as cilantro. I just love those flavorful leaves on foods like this home cooked Thai style chicken and mushroom soup.

Chicken broth infused with lemongrass,
while a splash of very stinky fish sauce
brings surprisingly
great umame!
But I find the delicate herb turns brown fast despite refrigeration. Then it occurred to me that removing the stems, bagging and sealing the brightest greenery, preserves its fresh flavor.

Sorry about the glare...
Overall, my husband and I make a great cooking and gardening team. With chores like laundry I tend to be on my own. And it’s a minor annoying when he becomes impatient to show me something on television while I rush putting away our clothes.

Yesterday, I thought about his occasional aid in hanging shirts. He’ll stand by the bed and toss me individual items. Instead of dragging him off the couch, I brought my T-shirt laden vanity table bench close to the closet. And voila! It went so much faster.

A Temporary Laundry 'Table'
Another pet peeve is biting insects. I know many can relate. Some of us seem to be tastier than others. Years ago I discovered a handy Sportsman’s stick repellent that makes it easy to target my most vulnerable bits of skin (elbows, wrists, calves, knees, and ankles in particular) without inhaling poisonous aerosol sprays.

The only bother with it is the top screws off but the product itself needs to be held in place, which isn’t easy with my small hands. Instead of struggling this past weekend, I tucked a cotton ball in that bottom well. The electrical tape holding the ‘stuffing’ in place is easy to remove if more cotton is needed.

30% Deet!
Are you a popular menu item in the insect world? If you suffer, have you tried a Deet infused product such as I swear by?

-

16 comments:

  1. I can't stand the taste of cilantro. Hubby bought some to try with a dish and I only took one bite. That was the end of that.

    Mosquitoes love me to pieces. That's all the bugs I have an issue with as far as I know.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! It's one of these genetic things, like with broccoli and Brussels sprouts. Hugs to you, my dear.

      Delete
  2. I've been watching a lot of Good Eats on the Cooking Channel. To prevent browning, have you tried a bit of lemon water? It might negate the taste a bit, but there must be something a bit acidic to counteract the browning... I'm not much of a cook, so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might work. ~nods~ And "Good Eats" is an excellent show! So far, a tight seal has kept the whole bunch fresh until eaten. Be well!

      Delete
  3. Soup looks good minus the cilantro :) My hubby always uses deet products. I prefer to stay inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mosquitos are bad this year, not here where I live but up where I was checking for kittens above Sweet Home, they were swarming. I hate the little blood suckers. I use high strength DEET in such places. I know its supposed to be a hazardous chemical but I don't use it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Sad to say, I get bitten every time I venture out without DEET but at least the stick makes target application so easy, as mentioned. :)

      Delete
  5. Those green leaves are healthy too.
    As far as insects I am okay with most of them except mosquitoes and cockroaches. We use repellents at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I never looked up the nutritional benefits. I'm with you on those bugs. Ugh...

      Delete
  6. Mom and dad went hiking and camping out at Crowder's Mountain State Park this past weekend, and they said throughout the whole weekend they were surprisingly left alone by bugs and needed no repellent whatsoever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to work with a Thai lady & she'd often give me a taste of her lunch. I don't remember stinky fish sauce but man oh man did she use to lace it with super hot chillis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trying again....Lost the last comment thanks to ATT connection. Yes, I am O positive so the flying blood suckers love me. However not living on the creek anymore has made a difference. Love cilantro, love the fresh taste if has. Made some Mexican street corn with it and it was amazing. But my apparently hard to grow. Planted one a couple months ago and it has bit the dust already.....crap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would miss the creek all the same. :) Good on you for trying to grow it, but sorry that didn't work out. Bummer.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!