Sunday, June 21, 2020

A Snail's Perspective - & My Need for Levity

In defiance of all humanity's insanity, I continue focusing on tiny bits of joy. Forgive me if being one more voice in the cacophony seems pointless. Anyway, here is a baby assassin snail image. While my palm shows size perspective, don't worry; the animal was returned to the water unharmed.

You can't see the telltale shell stripes,
but they're there. Trust me.
~grin~


What are the odds, do you think, that this is the one I photographed in the tank? Did you know these little beauties are not hermaphroditic like many gastropods?

-

14 comments:

  1. That wee thing is totally amazing! Thank you for your kind words about our sweet Zoe, we appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing wrong with joy. We should all strive to bring joy to the world, especially during hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating? I already passed my copy to someone else or I would send it to you. I know you would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So there are really male and female assasin snails? How does one "check" the sex? Just kidding, thinking ahead maybe, if there are too many, in my old age, maybe it will be snails I trap for spay/neuter. I think they're slower than cats, might have a chance. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of when I had goldfish as a kid, and some snails came along on some seaweed. After the fish died, I keep those snails until they died a long time later! Am pretty sure that I named the snails, but for the life of me I cannot remember...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a tiny little one for sure.

    Sorry I'm so late. I don't blog on the weekends, and finding your comments today reminded me that I had better get over here.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, that little critter is so tiny. If dad tried to pick that up with his sausage fingers he'd probably crush the poor thing. Mom and dad were hiking this past weekend out on Morrow Mountain near Charlotte and dad got a great photo of a monster-sized one of them on a tree.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!