Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Creepy Crawlers – The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Forgive the spaghetti western movie reference. That Clint Eastwood film is such a classic, its title alone so quotable, I couldn’t resist. And it is fitting, to be fair. As just about every human being on the planet knows, many insects and their ilk are beneficial whether attractive or not. Civilization as I know it would be devastated if honeybees weren’t pollinating our food crops or earthworms improving our soil.

A Welcome Visitor

Others aren’t so welcome. Last summer’s Japanese beetle invasion devastated my Harry Lauder’s walking stick. I've had to dismember this member of the filbert (hazelnut) family, a longtime part of our landscape.

My husband wants to keep these
remains as a sculpture (?!)


On a fun note my assassin snails have reproduced. They are named for their diet of pesky species, which inundated the tank within months of my poor clown loaches all dying. Since the adults decimated my nemesis it’s fortunate that assassin snails eat general detritus. Sometimes I think the pure existence of these creatures would be easier than life as a complicated human. But I prefer not to surrender all my free will just yet.

Sorry this little snail’s image is grainy...

Have you ever wondered what bugs experience? If possible, would you like to spend a day as one? What insect life form would you choose?

-

12 comments:

  1. A butterfly would be nice. Somewhere far away from cars and humans. Just fluttering around without a care in the world.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone should make a video game like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would make a cool sculpture. I will pass on being an insect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll tell him you agree. And I agree with you, honestly. Heh...

      Delete
  4. No I don't want to be a bug even for a day. Too many humans with big feet that could squish me like that---boom. Life as an assasin snail does sound rather simple right now. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I don't want to spend a day as a bug. I still remember The Once and Future King and Arthur's experience as an ant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH HELL NO...I don't want to be an insect, I would prob be the first one someone would target and step on!!! NOPE...I am good being the rolly polly lazy human I am, sitting in my chair on the deck at 11am playing on the computer! CLASSY...not sure I have ever been told I was classy. Apparently you have not been reading my crazy post on FB....I have sort of stirred up a lot of crap over protest, riots and southern history. Today I am on the Mayor's office and his cronies for passing a 34% property tax on the folks of Nashville....yep, some thing I should be called something stronger and in a diff direction from CLASSY! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you aren't lazy, for one thing. ~nods~ And speaking up against craziness and injustice is commendable. :)

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!