Friday, July 14, 2023

A Strangely Foiled Outing

On Wednesday I met my friend Scars to see a movie, “The Sound of Freedom”. My husband didn’t feel up to a heart-wrenching tale and gave his blessing.

Scars bought my ticket while I paid for our sodas. We walked into a silent theater. How bizarre. There should have been advertisements running and then previews before our 11 am showing.

This is all we saw:

Scars joked that maybe someone needed
to revisit the concession stand...
At around 11:15 or so, he and I returned to the lobby. Five other patrons sat baffled, waiting for word. I’m usually timid but I think Scars’ fearless nature inspires me. I walked behind a vacant service counter, looked into an empty office, and called out. Back in the auditorium, I even banged on a locked door.

Nothing. I later learned everything is automated, run by computer.

At long last two technicians appeared after Scars and/or I talked to a few different employees. Having climbed a ladder into the screening room, they apologetically claimed an inability to clear the glitch. Not even rebooting the mainframe. Issues included the system indicating no tickets had been sold. It all seemed stranger and stranger.

Around noon, the first fellow who approached us as opposed to the other way around returned and apologized because nothing had worked. Even calling their corporate office led nowhere. It seems corporate had been overwhelmed and stymied by this issue. Strangely, the nationwide problem apparently affected this particular movie alone.

I give all the staff credit for their efforts. And each individual patron received a refund offer, free food/drink tickets, and a complimentary movie pass.

All of us thwarted moviegoers remained calm, I’m proud to say. The others got their ticket cost refunded while Scars declined. He is financially well off and wanted the filmmakers to get their portion of the earnings.

Have you ever encountered something like this? Do you, like my husband, think it was a cyber attack on the theater chain?

-

18 comments:

  1. How bizarre. Yeah, it might have been a hack. (I have heard terrible things about this movie, BTW. FYI.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bizarre, indeed. And I know what bad things you've probably heard if it was from mainstream media. lol Those people are why I wanted to see it bad enough that I waited so long.

      Delete
  2. No, I have not encountered that, but it could be because I haven't been to the movies in almost 10 years. :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may well have been a cyber attack. In pre digital days, we were watching a film in a theatre and the film stopped and then the celluloid melted away to leave a blank screen. I can't remember if we just left or the operator fixed the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall a fire alarm going off and ruining the end of a movie back in the early 1990's. Heh...

      Delete
  4. Are movies at the theater now just streamed, onto a giant screen? Is that how it works now? I remember Andrew's trouble at the movies, with the film melting, and you could see it happen on the screen. A collective groan would rise from everyone there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the tear jerker movie about human trafficking? Or am I think of another one. The last movie I went to see I think was A Man Called Otto, which had a super predictable plot but was likable nonetheless.

      Delete
    2. I guess that's how it works now. And you're correct about the film. I'm curious and will look up A Man Called Otto. Be well!

      Delete
    3. I hope to get to see your movie, for real, then tell us about it. I have an old lady friend I go with to the movies now and then and love it. Usually Tom Cruise, the Otto one, you know---old coot movie types.

      Delete
    4. Awww... I don't feel like an old coot and 'A Man Called Otto' seems like something I'd enjoy.

      Delete
  5. Oh honey, I can't tell you the last time I went to the movies. Of yes I can, went with Tim about 2 yrs or so ago. These days I rather wait till it comes on streaming and watch then. I have heard of the movie, my friend Julie was telling me about it. Sorry you missed out on seeing it though. Never had that happen to me when going to the movies, but that goes to show, technology is not always the best and when it has a hiccup its not fun. Long gone are the days of the projector and the movie operator. Thank you for this post though, you gave me an idea on a post I can do. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, really strange. Difficult to speculate what caused it. No, I haven't had such a situation. Scars is really largehearted to have declined the refund.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!