Saturday, May 11, 2024

Big Wins Despite Double Jeopardy

Some months back my husband ordered a reserve bottle of our favorite sushi rice seasoning. Upon its arrival we discovered the cap broken and thus decided to retain the old bottle’s cap.


Well, after my husband used the rest he left the empty on the kitchen counter. Knowing its location, I retrieved the fresh bottle, switched caps, and proceeded to shelve the newer one.

To my horror, the sleeve of my shirt caught the bottle’s neck and sent it flying. I yelled, “Noooo!” watching the glass hurtle toward our hard tile floor.

I’m amazed to report that only the cap broke. I related the tale to D and he was happy as me. But that wasn’t all.

“Wait,” he said, “You’re about to hear something even funnier.”

As it turns out, he knocked the empty onto the floor earlier and, again, the glass did not break. Neither did the cap in his case. We will put the vinegar in fresh packaging and I’ll be careful to strain the product for any inner glass chips.

Do you think Japanese glass makers use a process that helps prevent shattering? Are you aware that some white vinegars sold these days are too low in acidity for safe canning?

-

23 comments:

  1. I saw the bottle flying and I was waiting for it to shatter in a million pieces. I'm glad it didn't.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the weekend, Darla. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you were just both lucky. I did not know that about the acidity. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given the bottle survived two catastrophic falls, maybe the effort goes into making strong bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a bounty commercial LOL! Maybe the glass does have something added to prevent shattering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Darla,
    There sure is a difference in the quality level of the glass making.
    We had the same when I gave away all my former, German Weck canning jars and a whole stack fell and NOTHING chipped nor broken.
    This week I dropped a French Pillivuyt ramekin that I use in the morning for my pills and vitamins. Same miraculous excape from even chipping on the tile floor. That too is specially made porcelain and baked and glazed at very high tempertures.
    So it must be a quality glass in your case.
    Hugs,
    Mariette + Kitties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this interesting information. And hugs back, my dear.

      Delete
  6. Me being clumsy, I can make good use of this glass

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is interesting. Quite possible that stronger bottles are made that don't crack easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very lucky that the bottle didn't shatter. Good glass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, I did not know some vinegars aren't safe for canning. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a new revelation to us last year. Ugh... Be well!

      Delete
  10. That sounds like some strong glass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience eating sushi. ~hugs~ To be honest, I have ups and downs with it but recently have enjoyed both cooked and raw Japanese offerings. :D Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If the Japanese indeed found a way of making unbreakable glass, it could be a sorely needed alternative to the plastic bottle.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!