Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Surprise! I Named her Octavia - a Jumping Spider Update

Yesterday I put a Christmas cactus root into the little ‘greenhouse’ I’ve had for decades. Later, what appeared to be the same tiny spider I rescued showed up in an empty cat food bowl. It seemed like destiny.

My husband insists I put the spider (he or she) outdoors while also saying my aquarium needs more fish. So…

What’s the difference? Do you have an opinion on how I should treat this prolific native?

By the way, I keep the door to the vivarium open much of the time and ‘Octavia’ seems disinclined to leave. Below is my photo of her (?) as discovered in the kibble bowl if you’re interested.

...

...

...

...

...


 


-

19 comments:

  1. Harmless, let them stay, as long as it doesn't make webs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Any webbing is tiny and if an enclosure even less of a concern. I think too many spiders in your part of the world are a different story. ~shudders~ Be well!

      Delete
  2. If the door is open and the spider decides to stay...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should check out Rose, the pet jumping spider on instragram. If they'll let me add a link in comments, here it is. https://www.instagram.com/p/CcVTKRYI7-2/?hl=en

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she makes a great addition to your family. Safer inside.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep her in the vivarium and your hubby probably will never notice her anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say let her stay too. Our Dad just rescued one from a feral kitty water bowl, it looked like it was about to sink. It said thanks too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love spiders and they eat other bugs so I think you should keep her. Just be sure to have a water source around for her. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, she's a cute little thing, and a keeper. Dad found one up in his boss's outdoor sink the other day, and the idiot said he was amused by the way it was struggling to get up out of that stainless steel trap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shouldn't call your dad an idiot, sweet Cleo. ~shakes finger~ But that's funny. Be well!

      Delete
  9. Yep, that babe would need to go out. I don't care for spiders in the house....

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!