Monday, June 6, 2022

An Unexpected Rescue

Walking across the carpet yesterday afternoon, I spotted a tiny jumping spider. Local species are harmless to humans, useful predators, and don’t normally hunker down. Without a second thought I scooped up this tiny cutie.

Hours later it displayed zero movement until tumbling onto its back. On instinct I moved the sluggish arachnid into an enclosure. Prepared the very night before (!), this minor project deserves explanation.


I had just watched a video about keeping jumping spiders as pets. This also taught me a huge peril – dehydration. Gentle coaxing lured what I surmised a female onto dampened coconut fibers. The rejuvenated animal sat on my finger before walking around a bit. Half tempted to keep her, I busied myself with further preparations.

Lo and behold, the spider left. But that’s okay. I’m not prepared and think they’re best enjoyed living wild. Various species have been prolific so far this season. Also, they’re not long lived. Watching pets die isn’t fun, regardless of size and/or nature.

Can you believe some hobbyists breed and sell jumping spiders? And what are the odds I rescued a toad from the driveway one day and a spider so soon thereafter?

-

22 comments:

  1. Well that was a good save, we find some inside but the Mom puts them back outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom is awesome. And so is your entire family, for that matter. :D

      Delete
  2. A spider reviver. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was kind of you. I like your spider abode. I don't think we have jumping spiders around here. I love spiders and want one now. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, at least she perked up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have found a couple living in my car. But one time there was a giant house spider in the car and it nearly made me have a wreck when it came out from under the seat between my feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my! That would be an issue for me. A fishing spider once fell in a canoe and I almost tipped over. lol

      Delete
  6. I only have the usual spiders...those with not much to offer other than thmselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always put critters back outside. I know the lizards are out there, but I'm not killing anything.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rescuing the hoppers!! lol....First, no matter the size of the "cutie" it is not going to be picked up by me. A major fear of mine since a child, SPIDERS. And here we have brown recluse, you don't want to go around picking them up. They have killed with that bite. I hate spiders. The way it works in my house, you come in, you are dead. You are outside, I leave you alone to do whatever it is you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've suffered a bad bite, so I doubly understand. ~hugs~ And you saved a tree frog, which is super cool.

      Delete
    2. Spiders in the house, don't get any love from me. And yes, I have saved frogs in the house more than once over the years, along with lizards or skinks and birds. This yr I am so surprised, Lily has not caught a skink and brought it in.

      Delete
    3. Oh, but the season is young. ;)

      Delete
  9. I don't mind spiders at all but I don't think I want a pet one! There's a saying here in the UK (don't know if it's used anywhere else in the world): "If you want to live and thrive, let a spider go alive." So after all your efforts with your jumping spider, you are definitely going to live and thrive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps jumping spiders would make delightful playthings? Dad says he rescues a random snail now and then in his boss's concrete driveway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Cleo, you mustn't play with them. ~shakes finger~ I adore you, though, and your awesome humans.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!