Monday, January 10, 2022

Uprooted - One Carrot's Tale of Woe



I recall my youth like it was yesterday. Surrounded by family and friends, I felt that carefree summer would last forever.

It all ended so abruptly. That final day further stands out as one of the hottest any of us had experienced. A light breeze teased my hair as I half dozed under the golden sun.

The air stilled. Even the insects fell silent. Hearing a distant rumble, my sister and I shared a nervous glance. The earth began to quake. All hell broke loose.

Swirling soil blinded me. An unbearable roar drowned out her cries as our world was torn apart. I lost consciousness.

Rough jostling would occasionally awaken me. That same dizzying commotion always dragged me back under.

My senses returned. I lay among strangers. Immobile, we couldn’t communicate. The unnatural sky offered no warmth. Somehow worse, we had all been shorn of our feathery locks.

When the endless sensation of motion finally ended we found ourselves part of a twisted menagerie. Darkness fell for impossible lengths of time. Unpredictable blinding flashes interrupted our restless slumber.

My familiar comrades began disappearing, most by twos and threes. Now they are gone and I no longer recognize any of my fellow captives.

Orange skinned people arrive and leave just as fast. Some are so young it breaks my heart yet again, especially when they have retained their glorious green mane. I guess that’s my vestigial vanity talking. Regardless, none recognize me. Who can blame them?

I wouldn’t recognize my dear sister if she looked like I do today. Age has left me shriveled, with strange wart-like protrusions further marring my complexion. I imagine soon I’ll be no bigger than a seedling.

Shuffled to the bottom of our enclosure, at least I can hide from the light and get some proper rest. Maybe I’ll even dream.

To sleep, perchance to dream…

-

14 comments:

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!