Monday, December 6, 2021

Adventures in the Kitchen

Like never before, I enjoy trying new recipes with my husband. Some, as in the case of the Thai inspired pork tenderloin I cooked this morning, are simply oven baked. And boy, is it delicious.
I'm no good at photographing food. Heh...

The meat was on sale, buy one package and get one free (!), so my husband discovered a list of twelve recipes. I chose this one because I had fresh cilantro leftover from cooking Thai chicken soup. Since these are such distinct dishes we shouldn’t get tired of either.

For example while both include ginger the soup recipe requires mushrooms, which we like so much we double the amount from half a pound. And I got those for less as they were marked down for quick sale. Using them the day after purchase, I found them perfectly tasty.

The package contained several conjoined
fungi plus lots of tiny ones.

An experimental, easy candy proved no more photogenic yet simply delicious. I melted boring old milk chocolate bars with coconut oil, pouring the blend over crumbled Triscuit brand crackers and peanuts.
I prefer sweets with savory components.

Do you ever cook using either fresh ginger or ginger paste? Can you believe the latter product we purchased came from Australia?

-

19 comments:

  1. I love ginger and tend to put it in a lot of dishes. So good for you too! My latest obsession is homemade soup. I made chicken and mushroom at the weekend and it was delicious - if I do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both look delicious. I'm coming over to your house.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very sweet. ~hugs~ And come on over anytime!

      Delete
  3. Trying new recipes can sure be fun! Every so often I do cook with fresh ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if boomer were still here, he'd be there "ina hot minit" to help "taste test" that pork.....he loved his pork chops ♥♥♥

    the candy sounds great....I will have to try that :) thanx for sharing !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good. We love mushrooms. I have never used either, only ginger powder. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Food is notoriously hard to photograph. So much so that I've read that when they take pictures for ads, they don't use the actual food. They "enhance" it to make it photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, not a fungi fan bit I am in a minority. I have cooked Indian food with fresh ginger. Cooking things out of our usual experience is fun and a true adventure in dining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you're distaste is all that rare. I've known several people who don't like 'shrooms. :)

      Delete
  8. The last Thai curry I made called for fresh grated ginger but I didn't have any, and just used powdered. I didn't know you could find ginger paste. Garlic paste is everywhere. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or state. lol Our regular Ohio grocer carries the stuff and now I'm hooked.

      Delete
  9. I like ginger. Good for health too. We use it our dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine your recipes would put ours to shame. :) There has yet to be an Indian (inspired or true) dish I didn't like.

      Delete
  10. That tenderloin pork dish looks yummy Darla. I love mushrooms but I must say I've never seen a pair of conjoined ones before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This load included lots of those little oddballs. :)

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!