Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Strange Days

I’ve meant many times to blog about some (often silly) things. Somehow I always got sidetracked. Then I fell mildly ill.

We bought a Covid-19 test kit, which proved negative, and I’m thankful not to have suffered a terrible sore throat or other miseries. I’ve simply felt rundown. And a constant drippy nose for several days left me unwilling to spend time on my laptop.

So I apologize for missing blog posts you lovely folks have been putting out. I’ll do my best to catch up. Meanwhile, I will share my latest silly endeavor. Back in the nineties (?) my husband and I sometimes bought a peach flavored cake mix and frosting. Yum. Perhaps because rich desserts are bad for my health I crave the forbidden fruit. Whatever the case, the item hasn’t appeared on store shelves so I decided to attempt it myself.

Add to the fact I’ve not attempted cake baking for at least a decade, I felt the desire to cut shortcuts besides the mix such as turning granular sugar into powdered sugar and all purpose flour into cake flour. Oh, and it’s supposed to be a three layer cake but I have only one pan and so cooked it in only two halves. ~shakes head~ The first half didn’t turn out too bad. The second wasn’t finished baking like I thought and fell apart. At least it tastes good and peachy. And that’s without the fruity flavored cream cheese frosting I blended.
The Better Half

Salvageable...
Have you ever eaten a peach flavored cake? And does anyone want to come help me clean up the mess I made of the kitchen?

-

17 comments:

  1. Feel better soon. I'm glad it's not covid.

    I've never had that kind of cake, but I'd love too.

    Have a fabulous day and a very Merry Christmas, Darla. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOPS! I am not a big fan of peaches so I have not had peach cake. Sorry you weren't feeling well. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought everyone liked peaches. lol Thanks for the kind words, my dear.

      Delete
  3. I've had peace flavored cake before and it's quite good. I've never made one though, it was at a restaurant that has since closed up shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better soon Darla. You shoukd've told everyone the Salvageable one was cooked in a ring pan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I considered fibbing but the only one to tell is my husband, who I knew would appreciate the humor of the situation. lol Best wishes!

      Delete
  5. Sorry you're not feeling well. At least it's not Covid :)

    Never had peach cake. I tend to really plan before I bake, so I shop to have all ingredients on hand. This, of course, means I rarely bake. I'd recommend cleaning as you go, but I'm just weird that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleaning as you go is not weird. It's smart. :D And I normally do. But I was lazy.

      Delete
  6. I love pineapple upside down cake. And your adventures with peach cake make me want to try my hand at my obsession---the pineapple upside down cake, once again. Ok then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We hope you're feeling better soon, too, and dad says he'd be more than willing to come help with the mess, but he doesn't think you'd want him coughing and hacking all over your house. Now for that baking- even goofs are delicious! Just because something's not worthy of a Bon Apetite magazine photo shoot doesn't mean it's not tasty! You make substitutions like dad does. It's good to not be afraid to try something different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not eaten a peach flavored cake but I think it would be good. I however would start with a yellow cake mix. One that calls for oil and not butter. In place of the oil I would add peach juice from a can of peaches. Blend up peaches to had to the cake batter. Once cooked I would top with a glaze of peach juice, powdered sugar and cream cheese. I will have to try this and see how it works....letting you know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even I haven't been getting time to blog. Just busy at work.
    Glad your illness wasn't anything serious.
    I love cakes. But I don't have a good knowledge of the varieties! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!