Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Buyer Beware - & - Getting My Groove Back

Yesterday we decided it time to look for a replacement electric hybrid Chevrolet Volt, a vehicle no longer in production. Our diesel Cruze sedan just isn’t designed for short hauls around town. My husband said upgrading from a 2013 to ’16 or ’17 model equated to making lemonade out of lemons following our hit and run collision last month.

Using our insurance company’s online assist, he found a car through a nationwide company that delivers a vehicle right to your door at no charge. Hmmm… Sounded interesting.

He reached out and a representative named Nick called. The polite fellow talked us through features on their website, specs on the selected car, and offered to get us started on the delivery process. In agreement my husband and I could handle the procedure on our own, we put on the brakes and decided to poke around first.

I am so glad.

First off, ‘free’ delivery cost $399 if we decided to keep the car. Then my smart guy thought to check the Better Business Bureau. Besides getting two out of five stars, this used car ‘dealership’ received a plethora of complaints that echoed similar issues. Among them: long overdue deliveries, filthy interiors, mechanical failures, and poor customer service.

One victim tried buying two different vehicles before demanding back his trade-in. When he got it back after a long delay, his expensive speaker system had been replaced with substandard factory units. Also, the excuse of a new paint job justifying his wait proved a patent falsehood.

All that, not to mention the fact our ‘suggested’ wait time on delivery was ten days, told me to move on. Did those people even have the car? I doubt it, seeing as the supposed ‘real time’ online image looked like a one car showroom.

I suggested checking out local, long trusted Voss Chevrolet the next county over. And we hit pay dirt. View of a mythical car half the continent away paled in comparison to recognizing the drive-thru service bay on Voss’ website.

I've stood on this floor many times arranging automotive maintenance.
Last night we came hope with this pristine 2017 Chevy Volt LT in metallic blue with well under twenty thousand miles (!) on the drive train. I think a conscientious elderly person may have leased this car. We face a learning curve on newer technology, but that should prove interesting. I apologize for the poor image below. It was cold!

At home, plugged in and charging.
(left front tire was a tiny bit flat)
Do you try to shop local, whether for large or small purchases?

-

12 comments:

  1. I shop local for big items. I want a storefront is case there are issues. It has served us well. Good for you on pulling the plug. You would have been just one more unhappy customer.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Enjoy your new wheels. It's beautiful. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on the due diligence. And congrats on the new (to you) car. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciated the ride today running an errand, and took a few minutes to figure out some of the electronics. Take care!

      Delete
  3. Great you found another car! Pretty color. Our "new" replacement car has newer technology too. Only two years newer, but when we first drove at night we were shocked to see the cup holders have blue LEDs!

    I don't make an effort to buy local. For something like a car, yes. I want to check the options out in person, and take it to a local mechanic before purchase (I don't find that necessary if from a dealer, just the smaller local lots), test drive, etc.

    My budget dictates whether I buy local or not! Given a choice and price being the same, sure, I'd go for local. But, I don't look for it. I could buy milk from a dairy up north, but the store brand is cheaper. I get a better selection on many things online.

    Hey, you doing the A-Z blogging next month? You're the one who introduced me to it on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool about the cup holders. Also odd. Heh... I'm with you on the economic basis. And I didn't know I introduced you to the blog challenge. Cool! Sorry to say, I've decided to forego it in favor of a novel writing challenge.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the new car! I love the color. Glad you were cautious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!! That is a gorgeous piece of machinery! Very happy for you and that you went to a good place to get it and not that scam artist online. Dodged a bullet there. I LOVE YOUR NEW CAR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops...I thought I read that the car was a Peach color...oops.....my bad. Blue is pretty. I see that is the type of car you have to plug up and charge it up. My don't work that way. As my car drives it charges itself. Pretty good cause with me, having to charge it would be something I would have issues with, like remembering to do it. HAHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. Thanks. And good for you! You do what fits your lifestyle.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!