Tuesday, October 10, 2017

“Blade Runner 2049” – A Review



I know there are plenty of reviews of the latest “Blade Runner” movie out there but I couldn’t resist, in part because current flicks so seldom interest me. My partner and I are more likely to stay at home than go out to see what seem like CGI-fests and tedious remakes so often put out by Hollywood these days.

So, here we are. Let me start by saying I am a total geek fan-girl over 1982's “Blade Runner”, though we never watch anything other than the original theatrical release (which I was too young to see in theater, I might add ~grin~). This sequel did not disappoint, with a style very true to the original. Both the expected and surprise cameo appearances well represented their classic roles, too, a real treat.

Every set was amazing, and drew me in as realistic no matter how surreal. The acting left nothing to be desired, nor did the characters themselves. I also understood the dialog well outside of one brief exchange. And that’s praise worthy since volume levels, whether background music or sound effects, sometimes overwhelm speech (especially for my partner, who is deaf in one ear).

The film is quite long, and my biggest complaint is that some scenes could have been shorter without harming the content. Our time in the theater went fast, considering, and we are still talking about the experience today.

It's too bad several older men in the audience couldn’t sit through the viewing without multiple trips to the restroom. ~shakes head~ Forgive me, but it was sort of interesting in an odd way. I planned ahead by sipping my soda.

On another note, I am no prude but the female nudity got a little tedious when even the occasional futuristic advertisement omitted clothes. That might have been more forgivable if not so one sided.

In short, we are glad we went. And if you like dystopian science fiction, I recommend spending the time and money.

Now I’m looking forward to next week’s release of “American Satan”. It’s a Faustian tale featuring rock and roll. Gotta love that, especially when Palaye Royale's lead singer Remington Leith provides the musical vocals for the main character.

Remington Leith (left) and Emerson Barrett of Palaye Royale
I Couldn't Resist Promoting These Rockers Again...
It should be fun, though I know Andy Black (of Black Veil Brides fame) fans are disappointed his voice wasn't featured. It's a technique creators reportedly used to further remove the audience from the real world.

What movie would you consider a must see?

-

10 comments:

  1. I have never seen Blade Runner, or most of that genre...not that there's anything wrong with that! Just not my thing. Must see movies? I love the Jurassic movies, and I loved Kong. I am fan of all things Muppet, too. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your interests, Annie. I wish you all the best!

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it. I've never seen the original, so I'm hesitant to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable. It's not everyone's thing. Be well!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like one my hubby would enjoy. We go to the theater about once a year. I sent you an email. you won the book I was giving away in yesterday's post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I won?! Cool. Thank you. And you sound like us. We go to maybe a movie a year, though my partner plans to see "American Satan" with me. Yay! Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  4. I am not a big movie goer but I will be taking in the next Star Wars movie that is due out in Dec. Why....I like Star Wars and it is a sort of thing with me since I went to the movies to see the very first one 30 yrs ago in 1977, I was 17! During the child rearing years I missed the 4th and 5th ones although I have seen them since. But with my son Cory being a total Star Wars geek, he has helped to renew my like for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading lots of good things about Blade Runner. I liked the original and am curious to see how this version stacks up.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!