Friday, November 25, 2022

The Buzz on Buzzards

Sorry about the title; I couldn’t resist. I also couldn’t resist expounding on the subject of these often maligned raptors.

Our neighborhood most often sees the social red headed turkey vulture. Their black headed kin are more solitary and aggressive. They will happily gather to take down a vulnerable living animal. ~shudder~ Meanwhile, I’ve joked to visitors that they should keep moving if they go outside.

These North American natives have always piqued my curiosity. I watched them circle and soar above farm country roads along the way to visit family in mid Ohio. The city of Hinkley, located roughly between Cleveland and my childhood hometown, hosts a ‘Buzzard Day’ every spring to celebrate the birds’ return. Though I never saw a single one on that particular date back then, my favorite Cleveland rock station had a buzzard mascot. Check out the rock n’ roll hair on this bird…

An Excellent, Nostalgic Read...

Fast forward to us moving here in 1994 and spotting huge flocks became normal. Sometimes they even overwinter; those birds might be migrants from further north while our summer residents head south. It’s impossible to know for sure. Either way, I believe the reason we see so many matches the old commercial business wisdom: location, location, location.

The Great Miami River is scant miles to our west and a major highway about the same distance eastward. Both rivers and freeways provide thermal updrafts for often effortless soaring over long distances. This makes them major migration routes while also providing plentiful water and, ahem, food for nature’s janitors.

And our home sits atop a large hill. Advantages include earlier access to the sun’s warming rays as well as a higher take-off point. Large flocks roost overnight in what are called wakes due to the fact their hunched appearance evokes Victorian people wearing traditional heavy mourning cloaks. The kettle reference is due to the way bubbles rise in a boiling pot of water.

Thankful as I am to view them, I am glad there are no big trees on our property. I understand that their droppings are both noxious and corrosive.

Do you suffer from invasive natural pests? Have you ever required a professional removal service?

-

14 comments:

  1. I've not been bothered by any pests and I'm happy about that. Well there have been ants, but that's not quite the same.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing invasive here aside from ants many years ago who took
    a liking to my hair removal wax. Birds of prey are in one way so horrible but they do seem to fascinate us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ants march through here now and again. ~nods~ IAnd 'm glad you haven't endured anything worse.

      Delete
  3. Yes, on hiring a professional team for removing critters. Had squirrels move in the attic area over my bedroom at the old house. It was terrible, they partied and ran up and down the space over my room and my sweet, loving Dakota, a rat terrier, esp for hunting critters, never raised a hair! Little brat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, sweet Dakota. :D We once had raccoons trapped because they pooped on our back deck and our indoor kitties responded by peeing on the carpet inside. ~sigh~ Brats, for sure. lol

      Delete
  4. That was interesting about the buzzards. Coyotes are an invasive species in SC and they've sure been harmful to our feral family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got coyotes, too. I always thought they were neat creatures until I learned how devastating they can be on dogs and cats. :(

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the buzzard info. Back in bird class, we referred to them as TV's. When I see them circling near or above me, I generally look up, wag a finger and say "not yet".

    ReplyDelete
  6. They must be interesting to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never see these, but I have seen turkey vultures. The only invasive pest we have is ants that we have an exterminator service for. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black and red headed are both under the term turkey vultures, actually. That's something I failed to mention. I wonder which type visit your area most often. :D

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!