Friday, July 31, 2020

Twisted, Rotten, Warped, and Just Plain Silly

These days we try to stay positive and look forward to harvesting our various peppers, both hot and sweet. The spicy gong bao is loaded with green fruit. I can hardly wait for them to turn red. Check out this curly one...

Gong Bao Gone Wild!

With our prolific miniature roma tomatoes I mixed up salsa including home-grown jalapeƱo, plus store-bought onion and cilantro. Sad to say, one white onion in our pantry went bad. I've never seen anything quite like this centralized mildew. We decided not to take chances and bought another.

Would you have tried to use this onion?

Another vegetable oddity came in the form of a harvested eggplant wedged between stems. We have never eaten so much of this stuff. It's tasty breaded and fried Italian style or baked and seared with a white Japanese miso based marinade.

Reminds me of a slug sporting an old
'emo' hairstyle from this angle...


Can't you just imagine a face peering
out from within those 'bangs'?



Last but not least we have Jezebel. I ran for my camera after my husband entered the bathroom and saw this...

"What? I'm saving you from
the evil shower."


She did relinquish the space after I brought out some treats. She moved to the corner, oddly, right beside my camera case.

"Fine. You can have the bathroom."

Do you like eggplant? What about pickles? We have plenty of both. Heh...

-

16 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of eggplant, but hubby loves it. He does the cooking for the most part so when he wants it he fixes it. He's happy and so am I because I don't have to eat it.

    I would not have used that onion either. Your making something tasty so you don't want to put something it that's probably not tasty.

    Aw on your kitty. She's beautiful.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a fan of eggplant or pickles. But that really shouldn't be surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cool looking eggplant. Jezebel is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made eggplant lasanga once. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love the emo eggplant! And yes, dad and mom love pickles and eggplant. Dad says he's used onions that did that. He just makes sure to get rid of the affected part. He'd put onions, no wait- onions and mushrooms on everything he eats if he could. Cute curly pepper, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not really been big on eggplant but I love pickles, mostly dill but I like bread and butter also. Not a big fan of sweet. Are you learning yet, I am not a big fan of a lot of things! haha....I have been buying fresh veggies but most times I throw them out. My biggest down fall is rice and bread and I am not growing the ingredients to make those!! haha...but really, biggest issue is protein, once I eat a meal that gets me my protein I am full and I never get to the veggies. That also has a downfall cause I was told by my eye doc that she can look at the eye and tell if you eat your share of veggies. Apparently a tell tell sign of dry eyes is not eating enough. So I guess that saying about eating carrots for your eyes is a real thing. What funny veggies you grow my dear! Yes, I would have used those onions. Cut around the bad places, not killed me yet. However, a while back since I don't cook that much and my onions and garlic would go bad I started chopping up my onions and freezing them. That way when I am ready to cook, my onion is still good and on the bright side, already cut up. With garlic I could do the same but I just started getting minced garlic in a jar, it stays fresh in the fridge....yep, I could be called the queen of making life easy! haha.. Sweet baby girl. How old is she? My Lily likes to get in the shower after I shower to lick up water. So I have to be really sure the doors are closed if I step out and clean right away. Don't want her licking up that stuff. She has taken a shower with me before. Or should I say that she got in with me, I showered and she skirted the water. It was at my brothers where he has that massive walk in shower and she was never in fear of getting wet. Silly girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both have silly girls. ~grin~ Freezing fresh onion never occurred to me. Clever! I have used jarred garlic but my husband prefers fresh. Fortunately, it seldom goes bad. Take care, my dear.

      Delete
  7. Not sure what happen but I commented on this post yesterday....crap. I hate when crap like that happens. You really do grow some strange looking things in that soil in your state!!! Pickles, love dill and bread and butter not a fan of sweet. But I really like to eat them by themselves....I con't care for a hot pickle on my burger! Been years since I had eggplant but as I remember it was pretty good. Would I have used that onion, yes. Just like a piece of fruit, cut away the bad. If I have onions sitting around a tad longer then I feel they need be I just go ahead and cut them up and freeze them. They are easy to reach in the freezer bag and pull out what I need...and they are already cut up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my fault that you didn't see your comment. Sorry about that. I started moderating after a ton of junk spam came in and need to keep up on checking.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!