Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Failure to Communicate

My husband’s lifelong communication quirks often amuse me. When we were young he mixed up two antiquated adages meaning all is well. Rather than say either ‘peachy keen’ or ‘hunky dory’, he replied, “Everything is peachy dory.” Sometimes I’m left baffled.

The other day he asked, “Can we get rid of that globe?”

I had no clue what he wanted me to throw away. It turned out to be my Halloween ‘snow globe’ whose bats flit around a haunted house. I wondered why on earth it should be tossed.
The one that he bought for me from Menards
is a few years old and a little different...

But he didn’t wish the thing thrown out. He just hoped I’d be willing to relocate it and free up an electrical outlet.

Is it any surprise this confusion occurs more frequently as we age? Doesn’t peachy dory sound like a refreshing summer cocktail?

-

7 comments:

  1. I act like your husband at our home. Hubby is always saying WHAT? I use the wrong words and often make little sense. Everyone knows I'm weird so that's my excuse.

    I linked this post to Happy Tuesday because you made me laugh out loud.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darla, the Halloween snow globe looks nice...and I like bats! :)
    Peachy dory made me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds sounds too fishy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that called a malapropism? Or there's another term for it that escapes me at the moment. Hey, as long as you understand him, that's all that matters.

    The "Failure to Communicate" in your title took me back to Girl Scouts. Did you know there's a nautical flag with a similar meaning?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pues sería una pena porque la bola es muy bonita. Saludos desde España

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!