Saturday, August 8, 2026

Christmas in August

This summer I met the lovely woman overseeing property renovations across the street. To encourage her mentally challenged nephew’s work ethic and build toward future autonomy, she set up a lawn mowing service in his name.

A few weeks ago another neighbor suggested they cut our grass to promote the fledgling business. I felt guilty not having more than $20 to pay the young man, especially seeing how hard his aunt worked alongside him, all the while pointing out any details he missed.

Fast forward to the present, my stubborn self finally took my husband’s advice and I called her. The pair arrived two days earlier than expected and brought the contractor and his employee along. I had no idea until I passed by the front windows and saw one of the guys edging the sidewalk, hacking away with a flat edged shovel (!) and heaping the huge amount of removed overgrowth for C and her nephew to bag up and haul away.
What a mess I had before...

I gratefully handed over $60, which still seemed too low, so I bagged up some of my garden harvest for both parties. The chief contractor said he would make salsa that night. That made me smile, and he beamed at me when I said it felt like Christmas. I know this transformation makes a lot of folks happy.

Can you believe the largess expressed by people who don’t even live nearby? Isn’t it cute that the young man chose a cartoon T-Rex as the logo for Dino Mowers?

-

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a win-win situation for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great experience and such nice contact between people, which is how the world should work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do everything in my power to purchase from local, small companies. I chose the pharmacy in town, knowing that at least I was helping to employ people in my area. I go to local coffee shops, and the nearby dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's so nice of them, for good price too. You can't go under $50 here to mow a small lawn that isn't overgrown. I'm glad they offered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a lovely thing that woman did to encourage her mentally challenged nephew! Very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a sweet story. Nice to hear there are some good people left out there. I wish I could hire them. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you supporting that sweet buy and I'm glad he's working and learning a skill!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a lesson I learned sometime in my twenties. It's not a bad thing to hire someone to do the chore you don't want to do. You don't have to do it and someone else gets the work and money they need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dino Mowers....great name. Cartoon, that would be cute. Yep, I looked at my yard today and although I am keeping the yard cut, the weed eating has gotten a tad out of hand. I need to get on that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see that she set up the business to help her nephew. And glad to see that you lent a helping hand too in a different manner. You can be happy that the money you spent has gone for a good cause.

    On a slightly different note, I can say that there are similar instances here too. Here we can hire someone for just one hour to do household chores; from as something as simple as mopping the floor or folding the clothes you had put up for drying.

    One may say that why should we hire someone for doing such simple tasks. But the money that we spent goes to someone who badly needs cash to keep the hearth burning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to hire someone for workday simple chores as Pradeep also mentioned. It would be such a great help to us all. Alas...seldom happens.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!