Friday, August 7, 2026

Bad Luck but Lucky Timing

My maternal grandparents always made my three older brothers and me feel welcome and cherished. One odd recollection is of a bush that bore delicious smelling flowers (?) with an almost leathery outer texture. Having been told it was called a spicebush back then I decided to try and find one.

Well, the thing I planted grew into an out of control tree with few blooms and zero scent. I kept defending its presence to my husband despite the fact it didn’t make me happy and looked, in all honestly, quite ugly. So I cut the entire thing down to a stump a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately, overexertion resulted in a small section of inflamed lung lining. Bending over caused the worst of that isolated little stabbing pain but I continue (!) feeling discomfort. On the bright side my husband just happened to purchase a long handled grabbing tool just days before my injury. Whew! I’m still using it today as day I type this.
My friend Scars welcomed me to what he
termed the Tool Using Monkey Club.

Meanwhile, our lawn grew taller and taller while I waited to heal. Our front yard is pitted with foot sized craters, so no way was I up to mowing. And I am equally averse to letting my husband risk his older self. But more on that for another post… Spoiler alert, this proved to be a blessing in disguise.

How lucky am I to have such an amusing friend? Have you ever suffered a pleural effusion?

-

7 comments:

  1. Hi Darla, I am so glad you have a grabber. They are very handy to have for everyone, both younger and older, and it is great to have one to reach higher items as well. I am only 5 feet tall and it is safer to use a grabber than a ladder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, I'm sorry. Do you have pictures from back in the day of the plant in question? You might get the current name for it. I have one of those gripper things, and I love it. Bending over hurts.

    Have you considered hiring someone to mow your lawn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never even heard of a pleural effusion. It sounds awful. I hope you are better soon. My mom uses that kind of grabber all the time. xO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must get one of those grabby tools. Just picking something up from the floor is ok, but getting into harder to reach places is not so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, that sure isn't fun but I'm glad to hear you're on the mend and collecting tools!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had a pleural effusion, but I have heard any problem with the pleural is quite painful. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds terribly painful! I have the old folks equipment wall now in my garage. I have a walker someone gave me, although I've never used it, figure I will need it one day. I have crutches that I had for a knee injury long ago. I have the grabber too, because I use them if I have caged ferals to reach in and pull out a food dish or litter box, but also for picking up cans, in parks to turn in to make money for Happy Cat Club, my little nonprofit. I've got a plethora of various knee braces, arm sling, wrist brace, ankle brace, you name it. I should rent those out.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!