Friday, July 31, 2026

Overexcited, & Now Just Plain Excited

I’m thrilled that my dwarf, container grown corn is producing. But as the title bluntly hints, I harvested several too soon almost a week ago. I should have picked just one, not a regrettable seven. :( Refusing to throw them out, I cooked them. My husband, bless his heart, helped me eat that tiny harvest despite it tasting dry and almost woody.
 
The forming kernels were not plump at all...

Fortunately, today’s harvest of two proved sweet, if still tiny. They looked much more robust before being cooked.

The other was already being cooked before
 I remembered to take a photo...

Here are a few other useful lessons learned. Husking corn before cooking is a waste of time. Instead, cut off overhanging bits and microwave the entire thing for five minutes. the steaming process makes for a perfect chew and, better still, the cob slides right out of its husk. However, it’s best to refrigerate any you don’t plan to eat right away fully intact. This helps retain moisture.

Have you ever walked into a family friend’s cornfield and picked the sweetest you’ll ever taste? Can you believe my favorite memory from those farmyard visits is playing in the big barn with their youngest son and hearing my family complain how I smelled like pigs all the way home?

-

13 comments:

  1. Back when we lived in WV our County Fair had the best silver queen corn year after year, I miss that yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got two that were ready to eat. My mother had a garden every year. She canned and canned fresh veggies that we enjoyed year around. It was the way of things back then. Nothing better than home grown.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice memory except for being told you smell. :) I am blessed that my hubby grows corn so he can pick and I can cook it right away. We both prefer the silver queen variety. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's something satisfying about eating something you grew yourself. Nice harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom and dad (mom, especially) love having fresh butter/sugar corn all summer long. Dad says he grew up right next to a farm that sold all of their grown fresh goodness out front at their roadside stand. Their corn fields pretty much surrounded the house he grew up in. I'm sure the microwave trick is convenient, but we don't have/don't want one, and mom prefers good old fashioned stovetop cooking. They always cook 4 to 6 ears at a time, eat two hot ones with that day's dinner, and eat the rest cold with salads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never picked my own corn, but went apple picking with friends as a child and we still talk about how much adventuring we did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lived right next two a farmers field in me youth....lots around in the town I grew up in...best friends, best of times, and yes best corn !!!♥♥☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Darla, fresh corn on the cob is always such a treat! None of my family had a cornfield, as we all lived in the city, but I have tried fresh corn, as I have purchased it from a farmer in a market and it was delicious!
    I can see that the kernels on the corn in your picture were not plump and bright yellow (or white and yellow) as many I have seen, but the important thing is that they tasted good.
    Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend. I hope you have a lovely week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, that's funny your family complained about your barnyard smell. Its hard not to pick corn too soon, in anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You grew corn! Wow. Even if you picked a few too early.. that is still pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, I don't have friends with corn fields!! lol....As a child, you visited farms? LOL...I was never around farm animals till I dated Chris, years ago. He had five pigs, a chicken and a goat. First for me to sit on the ground with farm animals around me while I petted and loved on them! lol...Corn, my favorite veggie. Carrots raw and cabbage coming in next

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm quite excited for my own corn. It is my first year growing it and I have a suspicion I'm heading for disappointment, but we will see :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing, we've never tried to grow dwarf corn in the BBHQ garden but now you've inspired us to add it to our; what to grow next year list!!! Happy Tuesday!!! 😻🐾✨🐾😻

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!