Sunday, July 26, 2026

Exciting Times

It’s ridiculous that I started writing this post at least a week (?) ago. Anyway, here’s my overdue garden update.

My once weak and spindly tomato seedlings have really taken off. There are so many fruits forming that I decided to harvest a few green ones. I’m not kidding when I say these weren’t just the best fried green tomatoes I’ve ever made but the best I’ve ever eaten. My husband, not a previous fan, wants me to cook up some more…
Yum...

Finally, I was able to harvest two turning red. Again, our BLT sandwiches tasted incredible. I still need to find a good salsa recipe for canning my sweet bell peppers and these super sauce tomatoes. Fingers crossed, I won’t lose my harvest due to a natural weather event or pest invasion.

I’m so grateful to the Millennial Gardener sharing all his trials and errors on YouTube. His videos are invaluable. I learned last year that tomato plants cut off nutrients before the fruits are fully ripened.
I apologize for the poor quality image...
I need to fry some green tomatoes!

Are you aware that the time to harvest is when gently lifted fruit breaks off the vine? Isn’t nature amazing?

-

11 comments:

  1. Oh my, bet those fried green tomatoes were incredible, and BLT, yum! Fresh matters are the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried fried green tomatoes. I think its time I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Darla, I have never tried fried green tomatoes. When I was a little girl, I remember that my father bought a bottle of green tomato chow chow. He liked it. I never tried that, either.
    I know very little about gardening, I have always lived in apartments.
    Nice to see your post, dear friend.
    Thank you 😊 so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang! I'm envious! I always did great with my maters and peppers. But the last ones just did not do well at all. I got a few, but not many. I still remember the first time ever in 2011 and with all ,y lack of knowhow, they did fabulously. EVERYTHING did. I had so many tomatoes I was able to give away some. And delicious? WHOA NELLY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was raised when gardens were something almost everyone had. My mother canned so many veggies that we would eat all year long. A wonderful time. I know very little about gardening. Hubby does, but I never helped my mom. I wish I had.

    Have a fabulous day and week. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those do look good. I haven't made them in years and now I want to. I did not know that about picking them. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay. Success with the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Folks can complain about social media all they want, but when you need information, you'll find it!
    Second best place to get info: the library, especially a lecture on the topic that you are interested in. And it's free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Darla, Darla, Darla....gardens take work! Enough said...lol....I had maters, I almost killed maters, then the worms almost killed maters and out of what started as three of the healthiest and pretty plants, I got four maters. But I learned two things....when the Jap Beetles come around, do not, I repeat, DO NOT mix up what you read without thinking it through. And yes, I did not think it through. The mix consisted of cooking oil, dish washing liquid, and water. I fried the leaves and my newly forming maters go blisters! Cooking oil in the sun....NOPE. Next I learned that when planting my mater plants, and I do them in pots, cover them with mesh/tule type material. This will stop the horn worms from laying eggs that you are not aware of that will pop out and have over 1/2 a plant eaten in 24 hours. I ended up pulling two off my plants but damage was done. Amber however had about 15. Now, I killed mine, oh hell, being honest I killed Ambers too. Yes, I am a worm murder......and I hate that I did cause I later found out they become hummingbird moths. So, hence the tule.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fried green tomatoes are delicious! The BBHQ veg garden is a little slow to produce this year due to the extreme heat, but I remain hopeful that the tomatoes and peppers will surpise me sometime this week! LOL πŸŽ‰πŸ½️πŸŽ‰

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fried green tomatoes are delicious, but I usually have them in the fall when harvesting the last of the tomatoes before a freeze. But as you showed us, there's no reason not to enjoy them now.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!