Sunday, July 12, 2026

Dazed and Confused

I went outside in a great mood one morning to check my vegetable plants when I saw a slip of paper fallen from my front doorknob. A city employee left a weed violation warning that totally deflated my good mood. I’ve worked so hard on maintaining a decent yard. And I’m on my own due to my husband’s imbalance issues.

I immediately called and left the inspector a polite message requesting guidance. And I shamelessly played the old lady card, how I alone maintain the property.

Still feeling down and confused, I knew that taking action was an excellent morale booster. Two rare but always amicable neighborly encounters improved my mood before I even started. Then I walked to the north side of our house.

Invasive, fast growing Johnson grass went nuts when I wasn’t looking. I immediately took my electric hedge trimmer and mowed down as much as possible without tumbling down the hill. While the landscape has eroded beyond recognition, the hardest to reach spot is almost exactly where I caught Tilly falling from the neighbor’s tree so long ago.

The inspector called the next afternoon and confirmed my wishful suspicion. My husband was relieved by both the fact we wouldn’t be facing any fine and our vegetables are in no danger.

I need to follow up with weed killer. And keeping this obnoxious grass down demands vigilance.

Can you imagine how worse it would have been if that notice blew away? Is there a particular invasive plant plaguing your area?

-

9 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it was a fix you could fix. I'd be so surprised if your garden was the culprit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you didn't get fined. That's a great thing.

    We have a gardener that takes care of keeping things looking good. We are old and hubby couldn't keep up with are big yard anymore. I hate yard work and refuse to do yard work.

    I know you'll figure out how to keep that inspector at bay.

    Have a fabulous day and week. Love and hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you ought to get some really powerful weed killer and go spray in on the inspector!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Darla, I am so sorry about the weed issue! But I am glad you managed to resolve it without paying any fines or penalty! Bless your heart!
    We do have invasive insects and plants here in Montreal, but I can't name them, because I am bad for knowing all of this. I live in a 6th floor apartment and have no garden, plants or flowers.
    The insects I can name are the Emerald ash borer and the tree-damaging caterpillars....and the Japanese beetle.
    As far as plants go....not sure of which ones, but I do know we have them!
    Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend. I hope you have a lovely week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your city is strict. I would be very annoyed to get that notice. Glad you didn't get a fine. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our city sends notices that say, 'noxious weeds over 9" tall' or something like that.
    The Hubby refuses to allow me to cut what little grass we have with the mower, since he's cobbled the darn thing together and it would fall apart for anyone but him.
    HOWEVER, the thing has finally gotten to a point where it's DOA, so I want an electric mower that I can use also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, I'm sorry you got that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow....with my weed eater issues some parts of mine have gotten out of hand, but now taken care of. However, my neighbors yard is HORRIBLE. The problem, outside the city limits in an unincorporated area....but much longer and I will have to say something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. da tabbies o trout towneJuly 14, 2026 at 12:16 PM

    this might sound silly, but do you have any cattle farmers in your area ? cattle love that grass and you could tell the farmers, if you come over and mow it....it's free !!! rather a win win for both ~~~

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!