Saturday, February 3, 2024

A Walk About Town

My husband and I have lived in this house since 1994 (!) yet failed to fully explore Franklin’s history. Today I walked the riverside bike path, my unusual starting point coinciding with major downtown roadwork. That introduced me to unknown facts, such as the bed and breakfast where we married in 1997 having been originally commissioned by a sea captain.

Is this not a grand home?

Also, an Irish immigrant designed this intriguing old house locals dubbed the Alamo. It does seem to exhibit that influence. I would very much like to see inside.

I cannot imagine its current purpose....

There is a planned riverfront renovation which I consider long overdue. Surrounding towns have interesting amenities such as open air amphitheaters, independently owned (not chain) restaurants, niche stores, and the like.
This shows the massive infrastructural work...
I have seen but never read this plaque before...

A cool piece of history...

Grand houses across the Great Miami River...

A surprising find; this antique vehicle near a very old train bridge...

Why is there a deflated bike tire in the tree?

Besides the sad residence pictured above I saw many decrepit houses. One place appeared quite lovely; a mat on the sidewalk read ‘welcome to our porch’. Then I noticed a sign promising violence to trespassers. My instincts kicked in and I didn’t pause for a photo.

Do you live in a vibrant community? What improvement(s) would benefit your neighborhood?

-

17 comments:

  1. It looks like you've got a mostly nice walk there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are certainly some interesting buildings featured. Your architecture is so different to ours. I've normally thought of two storey houses as fitting more accommodation in a smaller footprint but clearly there isn't a great need when the houses sit on such large blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The differences are so fascinating between nations and even local communities. Thanks for your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. That was an interesting tour, thanks! That does look a bit like the Alamo. The one thing that would help our neighborhood would be if the developers were made to quit building, traffic is a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Darla,
    Having a Riverside Bike Path is such a big plus!
    Wish we had one here...
    Hugs,
    Mariette + Kitties

    ReplyDelete
  5. A vibrant community??? Nope, a road where folks drive pass goig to and from! I met the guy to the right of my driveway, but he moved out a couple weeks later. I was excited about him, he was a mechanic. Could not think of any better type of person to live next too.....and then the weekend I moved in I saw a for sale sign. New person, not moved in yet. I met the woman on the other side, she is new also. But we live on a busy road, and its not like a neighborhood. What would be good for the hood, trash pick up. I have to take mine to the dump, or hire an individual to do it. First I was doing it, but recently hired a guy. Breaks my heart that I had to do that cause I pay him 30 a month. I was only paying 56 for three months for a company to do before. Anyway, I love history and seems like you have some nice history about you. Love that older building. So cool...would love to see inside also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could get together. ~hugs~ As for trash pickup, we pay for that along with recyclables and the water bill. Those fees keep rising, of course, but I think they're cheaper than what you endure. Blessings, my dear.

      Delete
  6. The place you had your wedding is beautiful. My community is not vibrant. I like my town, but there is nothing unique or special about it. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. :D And just remember that the residents make a place special. ~hugs~ And you're amazing.

      Delete
  7. The Alamo looks interesting. There appear to be drapes hanging in the windows. Is it a residence? Boarding house? Looks large.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree but am unsure its use. There is outdoor furniture blocking the entrance. My interest gets piqued every time I drive by. Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  8. the second house is awesome ~~~ and maybe the bike tire
    was used as a swing ??

    and frum uz tabbiez... what wood benny fit R neer bye nayborhood... wood bee a lack oh bass terd wild turkeez takin ther sweet a$$ time crossin de road N holdin up traffic ~~~~

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!