Thursday, July 7, 2022

Kitchen and Garden (Mis)Adventures

This growing season has been rather a bust. ‘Successfully’ starting old cucumber seeds took a mysterious turn. These fruits seem to be some weird hybrid with last year’s acorn squash. Yet science deems it impossible. I don’t even know if these will be edible or tasteless like 2021’s squash attempt.

Our planted boxes aren’t doing well, either, except for the Swiss chard. It’s a delicious and easily grown spinach substitute.

Meanwhile, we purchased ten pounds of pickling cucumbers. Cooking up six spicy dill jars this morning allows enough for another round – this time we’ll prepare spicy bread and butter pickles. These are the most popular overall. Another attempt at seeds elsewhere may provide a late season homegrown pickling crop. We shall see.

My other indoor endeavor involves making corn salad. Yes, corn salad. See this cookbook by multitalented artist Coolio. Also today I whipped up classic Midwestern green bean casserole. A shallot in the cupboard, I’m sad to say, sprouted. Since it’s likely no longer tasty my husband wants me to try growing it outside.
Our Recent Farmer's Market
'Hissing Potato'... lol

Have you ever gotten mouth sores from too much salty, crunchy, or acidic foods? Do you know this susceptibility is genetic, and that a properly ingested amino acid can counteract this particular herpes virus?-

20 comments:

  1. Cool potato. I am impressed you made pickles. We still need to do that. We love swiss chard. A friend of ours grows it and brings us lots of it. I made stuffed swiss chard leaves with ricotta, mozzarella, hamburger and breadcrumbs then topped with marinara. Like stuffed shells without the shell. I did not know about that genetic problem. I do get mouth sores when I have too much orange juice and also from Doritos.XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! A dentist once recommended lysine supplements for oral sores and the results are amazing. ~hugs~

      Delete
  2. That potato made my DAY. loved the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome potato! I can't eat potato chips unless they are extremely low salt. I used to not be able to drink orange juice either, would give me sores, but it doesn't anymore, if I get a certain kind, of squeeze my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lady at the farmer's market asked if I wanted another and of course the weird one piqued my interest. :) And all have been tasty. Be well!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes things grow right and other times not so much. It is what it is. I love that potato.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a farmer said at our local market, if it was easy everyone would be doing it. :D ~hugs~

      Delete
  5. You're still more accomplished in the garden than I am. Mistakes are the best way to learn, so next time things will grow better, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you have the space, my dear. Right? And your skills with textiles are way beyond anything I can imagine. ~nods~ Be well!

      Delete
  6. Those are cool veggies, you're growing your own sci-fi movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An unusual cucumber kinda thing Darla. I love bread & butter pickles & that sure is one weird potato. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never got a sore from to salty or anything but I used to eat salted sunflower seeds in the shell.....I would get pimples if I ate too much and my lungs would get tight. Not the same thing you were asking but thought I would throw that in there...lol. I planted no veggies this yr or even last since I find keeping up with all that harder as the summer gets hotter. I know....wussy. lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting but unfortunate allergy. And you're anything BUT a wussy. :D

      Delete
  9. Oh so creative and healthy ~ way to go ~ Xo

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days ~

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's quite a strange shape for a potato!

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!