Sunday, February 27, 2022

Confused Again

Just when I have some little thing figured out, the rules have changed. Skin care products are an excellent example. I learned many years ago that most scented items use alcohol to disperse their fragrance.

Though a drying agent is the last thing I want to rub into my skin, I continued using cheap moisturizers until chlorinated pools caused dry cuticles and painful little hangnails. An unscented body lotion solved that. I decided to go the same route with shaving gel.

All was fine until I changed brands without reading the fine print. It’s alcohol free, all right, but has a strong fragrance. It wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t use enough to cover my legs. Oh, well. It fades fast.

More recently, I made the opposite mistake while trying to go cheaper on my lotion. This product is unscented but does contain alcohol. I am utterly baffled.

Anyway, here are some true money saving tips, particularly for the ladies:

First, you may know that items marketed toward males are cheaper than women’s equivalents. This includes shaving gel, as you may have guessed. I end up smelling like my high school shop teacher. ~rolls eyes~ And of course multiple cans were more… you guessed it, cost effective.

My high quality body lotion is not cheap. However, buying direct via this Griffin Remedy link helps. And, while not a paid sponsor, I’ll tell you that this San Francisco based company offers several 25% off (!) holiday promotions as well as for those buyers providing a new email address. Also, purchases over $39 (USD) ship free – though only within the continental United States. An industrial sized gallon lasts me the better part of a year.

Does an excessive amount of cologne or perfume almost make you gag? Would you suggest/request that an unavoidable person use less?

-

18 comments:

  1. When I was younger, I used the harshest stuff on my face to dry it out. I had way oily skin. In my thirties I had to tone that down a whole lot. I'm glad you're finding what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smells are okay as long as they are not in our house, Seal's asthma would go bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost every scent gives me an instant headache. It seems like every time my cats go to the vet, the tech's perfume smell stays on the cat. Thank you for the link, I will check it out. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, makes me gag and eyes water. I can't imagine being near someone you can't avoid doused in fake scents. In the store, in just passing someone, not so bad though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind a bit of fragrance, but The Hubby is very sensitive, so I avoid most all of it.
    I use body lotion that is all natural and vegan, made by a mom-and-pop place, and I need to reorder, so thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome. :D And I'd like to know your source.

      Delete
  6. Mom wears minimal fragrance only occasionally, and dad NEVER wears any such thing. Neither can stand when they're near someone who wears too much. Mom does, however, use all sorts of mostly unscented skin care products, and is always saying how jealous she is of dad's 60-year-old nearly flawless complexion (except for all the hair between his nose and neck, of course). One of mom's favorites is when dad comes home at the end of the day when he's been working outside all day, and he smells like the great outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can not do loud smelling stuff. When I was a teen I used Windsong and Ambush which if I remember was pretty strong. Then as I grew older I developed some wicked allergies, I got where I did not like the strong smells. I like soft powdered like smells, I do not do floral at all. As for lotions, I used to own stock (joking) in Vaseline lotion. I totally took bathes in it. Over the last ten yrs or so, I started having a lot more skin issues. I always had skin issues since I was a kid but it seemed to get worse. When it got so bad that being outside and pollen settling on my skin, I needed help. The dermo doc told me to lotion down twice a day. I did, no help, till I found Gold Bond Healing. It is so thick that it keeps stuff from settling on my skin and bothering me. Great stuff and its made my life more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My eyes start watering if I wear any fragrances so I have to be careful of what I buy and use.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friend just suggested I get some unscented lotion for the spare bathroom. Probably for he same reasons you mentioned here.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!