Monday, June 21, 2021

A Rare Bite

Browsing our grocer's frozen food aisle I often keep a lookout for sales and/or interesting products. A closeout item fit both categories in the form of Welsh rarebit. The label confused me as one small box listed the servings as 4 and a half while the picture showed the classic cheese sauce on two toast slices. No normal person eats a quarter or so slice of bread. But at less than one (US) dollar each, two found their way into my shopping cart.

I later discovered the image depicted a 'serving suggestion'. Rather than finding two separate compartments I discovered a frozen block of golden cheese. Reading the ingredients should have tipped me off. ~shakes head~ For a ready-made, processed food its list is short and includes no preservatives. Most were what constitutes Worcestershire sauce, the flour being just a classic thickening agent.

We already had a loaf of nice crusty bread for a tasty platform. And yes, I ate just about a fourth of the sauce. ~grin~ One difference I'll make in future is to brown the cheesy bread. It tasted good right out of the microwave but this image found on the website Good to Know looks extra tasty. This link leads to the recipe, which I'd like to try sometime.

Yum...

Have you ever eaten Welsh rarebit? Did you know another name for this meatless dairy dish is the incongruous Welsh rabbit?

-

20 comments:

  1. Never had it before. It does look yummy.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look tasty. I never ordered any in a restaurant because I assumed it was rabbit. :) XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Alton Brown did an episode of Good Eats on this. That's my only familiarity with the dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a bad introduction. ~nods~ What a great series.

      Delete
  4. We had Welsh rarebit sometimes when I was a kid on the farm. I would still enjoy it, but my cholesterol numbers would suffer !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never ever heard of that. Now I need to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had it once as a 10 yr. old girl, and I must say I didn't care for it. But a child's palate is not the best judge...I have to say it sure looks good here! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've never had Welsh Rarebit but it does look pretty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of it, but have never tried it. That picture sure makes it look tantalizing. I once worked in a nursing facility where it was on the menu, and all it was was canned cheddar cheese sauce warmed up and spooned over cold toast. Pretty sure that Food Service Director didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welsh Rarebit is actually really easy to make! I like to make it with a nice full bodied beer as well as heavy cream. It is really rich and a little goes a long way! I too like to stick it under a broiler. You should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a new one on me, NOPE I have not eaten that before. It looks good and I read up on it and sounds good...might have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to say if this is healthy for you, but I'm glad you appreciate the information. Best wishes!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!