Friday, August 28, 2020

Culinary Curiosities

Between the garden and our local farmers’ market, we’ve eaten some tasty oddities. Among my favorites is a corn cob with a conjoined twin, of sorts.

Imagine my surprise...

The unformed ear shows the silk still attached to the forming kernels. I’d forgotten that’s where all those tassels originate. Sorry for the poor focus, which I didn’t recognize before now.

Besides my rotten focus, I broke the
tiny cob, adding insult to injury.


An interesting watermelon surprised me by tasting better icy cold. It was so refreshing that I may buy another tomorrow if they’re still available. ~fingers crossed~ The excess number of seeds was a minor and manageable nuisance.

Yum...

Our gong boa peppers are rather fun. Some of the fruits twist and turn. I’ve been drying them for later use, along with some of the even spicier ‘hot burrito’ variety.

Pretty cool, I think...

Do you have access to an open air market? Can you see the light webbing at left in the middle of the chilis curl? That would provide fine shelter for a tiny animal, wouldnt it?

-

14 comments:

  1. I've not been to a farmers market this year. Just haven't been out and about like last year. Oh well. The bounty of summer is a wonderful thing.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. ~hugs~ We didn't go today, sad to say. I just couldn't stand the idea of this obvious high humidity. Moisture actually gathered outside on the window glass.

      Delete
  2. My hubby used to grow the yellow watermelon- it is so good. He actually was working on trying to propagate a seedless one, but he switched to some other project. I like the snail pepper. Have a nice weekend. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore watermelon; can eat an awful lot in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some interesting produce. I haven't been to the farmer's market around here in ages, but I know it's still there on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep those tassels and either make your own cheerleading pom poms or the bristles for a witches broom....haha. NEVER ever had a yellow melon. Yes, we have an open air market in down town Nashville but with a little drive I can actually make it to several different places. Not been any this summer. I had tomatoe plants that gave me all I could eat on them and that was not much at all. If a garden requires me having to get out and weed, pick and tend to, I figure having a garden is not a given with me....that was my younger days. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think. :) Take care, my dear.

      Delete
  6. There are a couple of places in the city where the farmers bring in their produce for sale. But it is a bit too far from our home. Have been to one only a few times in last many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry they're beyond a convenient reach. :( We are blessed, indeed, as this small suburban community market is just a few miles from our home.

      Delete
  7. I love corn on the cob! We have lots of open air markets around here. Some better than others. Some sell out so fast once open for the day you have to be there early. I LOVE watermelon this year. Have a small personal size in the frig right now and yes, I like watermelon cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should have gone last Saturday. ~sigh~ We really miss the delicious peaches from one of the vendors. Enjoy your fruits and veggies!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!