Thursday, October 17, 2019

Wabi Sabi – Revering Nature’s Unconventional Beauty

Wabi sabi is a Japanese world view emphasizing acceptance and reverence of the imperfect, incomplete, impermanent, even desolate. A comprehensive article on the website Tofugu addresses this complicated concept, exploring each of the two standalone words and their connection to Buddhism.

Societal shifts and mainland exchanges influenced approaches toward wabi sabi, and this perspective trickled throughout national consciousness over the ages. Contemporary groups, for example, honor this tradition with parties celebrating the ephemeral beauty of cherry blossoms. Wabi sabi’s traditional origin linked to tea ceremony, that history is considered an excellent study resource.

As for me, I am guilty of the common Western, rather exclusive focus upon imagery, sabi, the aesthetic. The philosophy of wabi permeates deeper within Japanese culture, and their very language. That said, I used my camera during a recent hike to literally focus upon what I considered visual portrayals, however inaccurate or pretentious.

I wish my Greek influenced opinions of beauty were kinder to the aging human body. ~sigh~ There is a reason I prefer being behind the camera lens.








Do you find the appearance of fading vegetation interesting?

-

16 comments:

  1. I do find it fascinating. The seasons are amazing.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. Be well, my friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I hope you are well and enjoying this day!

      Delete
  2. I was just outside, snapping photos of changing leaves lit with sunlight. While I still have eyes to see, legs to carry me, and a heart that lifts when I'm in the presence of Mother Nature, I won't apologize for my wanderings in the woods, my upteen zillion photos of fungus, tree bark, and cool (to me, at least) textures and colors. There is always something new to experience out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. I like this time of year best when everything is turning colors. I used to join a blog hop called Sabi Saturday that was for sharing old and or broken things that were repurposed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I like the idea of re-purposing. Unfortunately, I don't have the eye for it. Be well!

      Delete
  4. Beautifullllllllll... I especially love the 6th photo down. So lovely...

    Being _much_ older, I _have_ to love the concept of Wabi Sabi!!!! -smile-

    Don't they sometimes, "fix" a crack in a pot, with gold? To really celebrate, the lack-of-perfection?

    πŸ‚πŸπŸ‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind. And yes, that type of crockery repair practice is a thing. Be well!

      Delete
  5. Great pictures. That does sound like a very Zen concept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the third from the bottom photo. Who says what is perfect or beautiful. I like the wabi sabi concept.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find those time lapse photographs of decaying vegetation fascinating, although a little depressing. Yes, if only everyone could see beauty shining through my wrinkles! Great post and I agree it's often the imperfections that enhance beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos. I am not so much into decaying plants. I however love the leaves on the ground that fall but still retain their color. Oh...I love imperfections, they have their own beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As a very accomplished, self taught photographer, you are kind to flatter me. Be well, my dear.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!