Friday, October 4, 2019

Brotherly Love


Yesterday my husband’s one brother, the middle of three, made a whirlwind overnight visit. At age sixty he retired, rather against his will, and gets bored without physical activity.

Tackling chores around his home and helping his daughter set up housekeeping in her new apartment kept him busy for a while. And don’t misunderstand. He didn’t just move her belongings in and hang pictures, he refinished old furniture pieces, restoring and enhancing their beautiful utility.

Hours spent splitting wood for neighbors was considered entertainment. Then an old basketball hoop on his property received a fastidious restoration before being handed over to a ten-year-old boy who lost his in a storm. The industrious philanthropist actually ran out of projects close to home and begged us for busywork.

Before he’d been in town for more than ninety minutes (half the time spent driving here!), Michael powered through numerous indoor tasks. Then he went outside in ghastly heat to tackle my requested gardening chore.

A tired old grass garden now full of weeds...

I’d planned to help but never got the chance before he finished. Several times, he complained that the work was too lightweight.

Debris is curb ready; plot set for spring tilling.
~shakes head~

Gotta love him. He is a very amusing fellow I’ve always appreciated. Now, I am awed. Not only is he a formidable force of nature, his intention is to stay busy doing good deeds for other people.

“Call me if you need anything,” he said before heading back north.

This evening he’ll be attending a former colleague’s memorial service. While the tedious cross-state commute alone wears me out, it disappointed him when my husband had not procured a hose long enough for him to clean out our gutters.

Should I start a list of projects, and perhaps call upon not only him but also those neighborhood kids looking for odd jobs to help out and learn from him?

-

24 comments:

  1. How cool. I say use him now and then just find a more difficult task for him to do. He's a jewel.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend, Darla. Big hug. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or you could send him up here to help US for a bit ! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! I agree, don't disappoint him, let him do some chores!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If he wants to drive to Michigan...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds like a nice guy. If he gets bored, please send him our way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could sure use him here for a day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a nice guy! I can't imagine he'll run out of things to do. There are so many elderly people who need help to stay in their homes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew, we're exhausted just reading this. Actually, I'm afeared dad will be the same way once he hits retirement (coming in the next decade and a half or so) as he doesn't like to sit still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Cleo! Thanks for stopping by, darling. :)

      Delete
  9. Yes, make a list. I'm sure you have some difficult things he could do. I mean, if he needs to keep busy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice person he is. One finds very rarely such people who stay busy by doing good deeds for other people. People like him spread cheer and happiness all around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is he married? If not we are the same age and I have a list made! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!!! What a Find! -grin-

    Just hope he is in good health. Wouldn't want him collapsing, while doing some 'good deed,' around your place!

    Doesn't his wife has lots of things, to do, for her??? My husband is very handy and a wood worker. Always has wood projects going. But I always have something I want him to do too!

    Happily, he had no problem, when he (finally) retired. He always had so many things he enjoyed doing, in his off time... That he was immediately, just as busy as he was, working. But now, it's doing what he really wants to do.

    And I know, how lucky, I was/am. That's not always the way retirement goes. -smile-

    🍁🍂🍎🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad for you! As for Michael, he ran out of projects at home, crazy as that sounds. Be well!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!