Thursday, November 15, 2018

Goofy Grapes, an Icy Invasion, and Fuzzy ‘Friends’

I’ve been meaning to share a summertime find, a weird but wonderful fruit. Called Moondrops for whatever reason, they look like those tiny party-time sausages so popular in the Midwestern United States. In fact, I find it funny that my sister-in-law always used grape jelly in her sauce recipe for them because these fruits are, indeed, grapes.

Tasty Treats with a Long Refrigerated Shelf Life

Rather Ugly Up Close, Though
Meanwhile, winter is knocking at our door. Literally.

At Least It's Not Forest Fires (So Sorry, Our California Friends)

As you can see, I woke to ice encased vegetation. My Knockout rosebush has been flattened. It should recover.

Poor Plants

My flag, however, left out since Veterans’ Day (my bad) did not fair so well. After I took a few photographs I made the mistake of trying to peel ice off the fabric. I should have let it thaw naturally.

Ice Encased Eagle

An aged symbol of our nation, my flag ripped. In retrospect, the shower would have been the perfect place for Old Glory to thaw.

I Feel Bad for Letting This Happen

Inside, meanwhile, Jezebel (one of my true fuzzy friends) stayed cozy on her blanket. As you can see, it’s virtual camouflage for her.

I Think She's Contemplating the Meaning of Life
As for the final image, you will want to give it a skip if you don’t like creepy crawlers. My run-ins with centipedes has slowed, but this big fellow below greeted me a week or so ago.

I'll give you time to look away... So here's my question for the day:
What kind of weather did you wake to?
 

...

...

...

...

"Good morning, Darla! How did you sleep... over there... in the next room?
You looked pretty comfortable as I ran over your bed."


-

12 comments:

  1. Most creepy crawlers don't bother me....except spiders. Fear of them all my life! Your furbabe looks comfy. Yikes on the ice. That is normally what we get in TN....however we only had a tad amount of sleet here, daughters area 1.5 hours away, got a lot of sleet. I saw NO snow....but the rain and wind made being out really cold. Today, woke to just wet hanging around from yesterday, wind blowing a bit but not near as cold as yesterday. Glad you blogged today....miss them when you don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm becoming more and more numb to creepy crawlers. Heh... Can't avoid them! Stay warm and safe. And thank you for the sweet words! You're very kind. Hope today is good to you.

      Delete
  2. I would love to try those moon drops. Never have seen them before.

    Aw, what a cute kitty. Regal in fact.

    I don't like creepy crawlers at all. Freak me out.

    Have a fabulous day, Darla. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never eaten Moon Drop grapes, but have seen them. The same grape growers have what used to be called "Witches' Fingers!"

    I didn't know rose bushes died back in cold! Is that usual?

    The photo of your eagle is amusing to me. He is so upset, he turned his back on you!

    Kitties know where it's warm, don't they. It kills one of ours not to get to sleep with me!

    I don't like crawlies in the house. I put spiders out, but we don't get many in the house due to nice windows and new doors sealing them out! In my old house it was bug-city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like that name for the grapes. ~grin~ Everything goes dormant here in winter except for my Lenten roses and hellebores. Sorry you can't sleep with kitty. :( New doors and windows just don't seem to keep insistent insects out. The centipedes might come up through drains. I don't know. Be well!

      Delete
  4. I've never seen moondrops before.

    The fires are later this year. It's like a reverse lottery: where will the wildfires hit this year? It doesn't look like the Santa Anas are blowing today (woo hoo!), so hopefully they'll be able to get a handle on the fires now. That goes along with weather. It's chilly nights, but Santa Anas make it warm during the day. We're slated to get into the 70s this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those grapes were a surprise, for sure. So glad the wind died down! Thank you for the update. Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  5. That is a fruit I have never seen before. Jezebel is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would get them again. :) And thank you! I'll let her know. Heh... Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  6. We are sunny and in the 50's. Aren't you supposed to take the flag down at sundown? I got a flag for the house, but when I saw it was made in China I never put it up. For some reason, that put me off. I would not know where to get an American made flag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally fell down on my patriotic duty. ~sigh~ Mine was made in the USA, actually, many years ago. Enjoy the sunshine!

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!