Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Day of the Dog



I grew up calling the hottest days of the year the ‘dog days of summer’, which I thought simply referenced those smart pets lying low to keep cool. The story is much more interesting.

Forget the Heat, We're Rockin' in the A/C

Our term derives from the Latin dies caniculares, or ‘puppy days’, referencing the rising of the dog star Sirius alongside the sun. I thank Wikipedia for that information, including the cool word ‘heliacal’ meaning ‘related to or near the sun’.

The ‘Blood Moon’ novelette series I’m working on includes a tale called The Dog Days of Summer. I find it rather fitting as the Greeks and Romans associated this period of the year with lethargy, fever, mad dogs, and bad luck. My characters sure endure plenty of that last.

In a converse bit of good luck the weather on my back porch today is quite temperate. I plan to enjoy writing out here as long as it stays cool. It will be nice when autumn lowers the heat index. My backyard is nothing special but does provide a secluded and overall peaceful place to write.

What’s your favorite way to spend a nice day?

-

13 comments:

  1. Glad you've got cooler temps, at least for the moment. A year or two ago I looked up dog days just to figure out what days that meant and learned the celestial origins. Fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I should probably be outside as I type this. Sweating when I mowed the lawn earlier, it should still be nice in the shade. Glad I'm not the only one interested in this stuff!

      Delete
  2. Well it is really the dog days of summer here in Nashville. So hot that the dogs go out and come right back in once business is done. It is 91 right now, not as hot as it was in the last few days but still hotter then I prefer. I got tickled at my son laughing when I told him our feels like was 110.....he had been fussing about the heat in San Diego but when I said that he said, "yep, 80 degrees with a feels like of 90 there".....I got all over him for thinking that was hot. He is from Nashville he knows hot and humidity! haha...Spoiled Calif. man....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute kitties. It was so hot and humid here last week and now it is in the 60's, yesterday was 57 degrees. I prefer that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you're getting better weather. I'm like you.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful cats! I do not like heat, in any way. I prefer cool, cloudy days. Come on, Autumn! HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. stopping in to check on Ms. Tilly....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I'm still struggling to get the liquid antibiotic in her but she's acting like she feels fine. I just wish Jezebel could enjoy clean water even if Tilly doesn't care. ~sigh~ I can't change it out fast enough to keep nasty litter debris from collecting in the bottom of the bowls.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I like it! And hard as you work, you deserve the likely rare treat.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!